Thursday, February 3, 2011

Book Review: Between Sisters


Do you have a sister that you love with all your heart and soul, yet whose decisions at times make you want to scream and hit her in the head and ask "what are you thinking?"

Meghann Dontess has such a sister, Claire Cavenaugh. Meghann is a high profile divorce attorney in Seattle who 27 years ago made the decision to leave Claire with her biological father, after practically raising her for their mother, who chose the chase of Hollywood stardom to raising her own daughters. Meghann lives her life alone, going out with different men most nights, not making any commitments, being lonely but not wanting to face the loneliness and guilt that comes from walking out on your sister. Claire, on the other hand, is a single mom who is raising her daughter alone while helping her father run his small campground. In Between Sisters ,by Kristin Hannah, Claire has fallen in love with a country singer and is getting ready to enter marriage for the first time. Meghann has come to try to talk some sense into her after being apart for more than 2 decades. Deep down she doesn't want Claire to get hurt by love. What follows is a poignant story of love, life, the bond of sisterhood, tragedy, life lessons and how even after 2 decades aparts wounds and guilt can be healed and family can be reunited as family.

This was the first book by Kristin Hannah that I have read. I can say without a doubt that this will not be my last. Hannah writes with such emotion that kept me enthralled throughout much of the book. The characters were well developed and the story plot line kept me interested in the story.

The one downside was that I found the first eight chapters to be very boring and with the emphasis on filling you in on the background of most of the main characters. I had a hard time concentrating and trying to find common ground among the characters and how their stories melded together. I took me over a week to read the first eight chapters (100 pages or so) and one night to finish the rest of the book.

I would definitely recommend this book, and without revealing the plot twist, I would recommend that you read it with a box of tissues handy for the ending!

Have you read any good books lately? Let me know about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment