Thursday, March 10, 2011

BOOK REVIEW: PLAIN WISDOM


Plain Wisdom: An Invitation into an Amish Home and the Hearts of Two Women by Cindy Woodsmall and Miriam Flaud shares stories and recollections of life between two very different friends-- Cindy is a best-selling novelist who is immersed in the modern, technological world, while Miriam is an Old Order Amish woman who is immersed in the traditional Amish culture. Plain Wisdom offers insights to be shared from these women's lives and experiences through raising children, helping neighbors in need, weddings and other cultural ceremonies to day-to-day life. Although they live in what looks to be completely different lifestyles, readers will find that the women are very much alike with similar goals and attitudes of which they hope to achieve with the Grace and guidance from God.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I picked up Plain Wisdom to read. What I found was a delightful, insightful read that really spoke to me. I could see myself in the lives of these two women. I could relate to the simplicity and complexity of the Old Order Amish lifestyle. I understood and symphathized with the frustration and complexity of modern English life. I gained an insight and appreciation for the Amish community as a whole and garnered more respect for them.

As an added bonus, Plain Wisdom also includes several Amish recipes scattered throughout the book that sound delicious. Many of these I may try including "Aunt Becky's Dinner Rolls," "Christmas Salad," and "Zucchini Pizza Casserole." These recipes are an added bonus to a great read that I would recommend to any woman.


DISCLAIMER: I received an advance copy of this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review. All opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment