Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Review: More Lost than Found by Jared Herd

Recently I was given the opportunity to read and review Jared Herd’s book More Lost than Found: Finding a Way Back to Faith. I was excited to receive and read this book as I am one of many people who sometimes feel like they have lost their connection with God and with what we grew up thinking that our connection had to be.



Herd himself is one of these same people. Herd acknowledges that he has struggled with his faith throughout his life but has come to reengage with it. After reading the first chapter I believed that this book would be about Herd’s own faith journey. However as I read further into the book, it became more of a generalization of why today’s youth may be leaving the church organizations and how they can maybe begin to find their way back to their own definition of faith. Most of the book is based on generalizations geared toward teenagers and young adults (ages 13-29) who are wrestling with their belief in God and/or whom may have had a bad church experience.

Overall this book was a very hard read for me. Herd seemed to jump around from topic to topic easily and to go off topic quite frequently leaving the reader to have to re-read to see what he was trying to say. As I am in my early 30s and in a different part of my life than Herd or to what I feel is his target audience, I found the book to be unorganized, too general, and just not for me. I would have gained much more from this book had I read it in high school or college. For that reason, I would not recommend this book to anyone over the age of 25.

Disclaimer: I received this book to review as a review blogger for book sneeze.com. All opinions expressed are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment