Saturday, February 2, 2013

Fraud on my credit card

On Wednesday when I came from work I had the urge to check my email before getting dinner. On a typical day I try NOT to check email as when I get home it is time for dinner and then spend time with kiddos---getting baths, cleaning up, etc. But I told hubby to not turn the computer off. Boy am I glad I checked my email…

I got an email from my bank that my credit/debit card had been blocked for fraudulent activity and to call the number on the back of the card to find out more information. Now I have gotten emails like this in the past and it is an attempt to get my information. However, there was no link or anything to press in the email. I decided to try to log onto my online bank account to see if I could.

I went to my bank’s website, tried to log on and nope it was blocked.

I then took my debit card out of my wallet and called customer service on the back. I explained about the email and the customer service representative said that yes there was a block on it, gave me the number to the fraud dept, and transferred me.

After asking some identification questions, I was asked if I had made a $487 purchase at Walmart.com that day?  Ummm…that would be a NO! I had not used my card at all that day anywhere. He then asked when the last time I used the card was. It was the day before at Walmart (in store, not online) for $30.xx. He said that the card would be blocked and that I would get a new one with a different number in 5-7 days.

Immediately after getting off the phone with him, I logged onto Walmart.com and my credit card info and hubby’s info were stored in my account. I deleted both card numbers off the account thinking that the person had probably hacked that account and that is how they got my number.

Yesterday, I received an email from Walmart.com that I had left things in my shopping cart. I logged on to my account and there were 2- $200 email gift cards and an expensive Lego set left in the cart. I deleted these and then changed my password on my account. Now I know what the thief was trying to get away with.

I have a lot of mixed emotions about all of this.

I am so thankful that they have fraud alert procedures in place. If this would have went through I would have been out $500 which would mean several bills would have bounced and we cannot afford to lose that amount of money.

I feel sorry for whoever tried to do this. What makes people think that taking money from someone else is okay?

I am frustrated that because of someone else’s actions, I am now inconvenienced in not having a debit/credit card for up to 7 business days.

I feel like I need to be more vigilant in my online doings and hope this doesn’t happen again. I have been checking my bank account balance several times a day since this happened to make sure nothing else looks suspicious.

I am hopeful this will never happen again.

4 comments:

  1. I can totally feel your pain. We actually had fraud on our credit card at the beginning of January. Ours was being charged in Europe! I wish I could have been charging in Europe, lol! So thankful for fraud protection on credit cards! Glad you were able to sort your issue out. :-0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me I am so thankful for the fraud protection!

      Delete
  2. Ugh, I'm so sorry!! We had fraud twice on our credit card last year but it was small amounts both times (on in England!). I constantly check our statements after that!! I'm glad you caught it on time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bank actually caught it before we did. Just thankful that they didn't get any money out of us.

      Delete