Monday, July 25, 2016

My new diet is working!

Hi everyone! Sorry for the blog silence the last week or so... it was the week we got back from vacation (will be recapping that soon!) AND I started a new diet without really planning things out and just flying by the seat of my pants to figure it out and I had to get right back into tutoring, and it was HOT (like everywhere else it seems) and I just didn't have the energy or time to write like I wanted to. But I have time now, so let's get on it.....


THE NEW DIET 

So after basically eating anything and everything I wanted on vacation, Hubby and I decided to start a new diet on Monday that we returned. I did this because I am tired of having no energy and being overweight. I came to the realization that I was surviving on diet pop and sugar to get me through the day. I picked up a couple of books at our local library that caught my attention....



And these books really spoke to me and made me realize that I think it is the heavily processed carbs that I have been over indulging in that has led me to my weight of 239.0! That is ridiculous. So I decided to give carb cycling a try. 

In his books Jorge Cruise suggests a very low amount of carbs 2 days in a row, followed by 5 high carb days. His food guidelines seem very real and doable and I have copied a few of his recipes that I want to try in the future. However, he is into really keeping track of all the numbers and I don't want to have to keep track of specific numbers. I want to focus more on eating less processed and more real foods. I have 3 kids, a husband, a house to take care of and a tutoring business to run. I don't have time to obsess about numbers. 

In his book, Chris Powell suggests you do a cycle of low carb, high carb, low carb, high carb, low carb, high carb, free day. I am loosely following Chris Powell's guidelines, but with my own food as if I followed his plan for food, I would be spending 3 times what I currently spend on groceries. 

So I decided to use the books as loose guidelines and make a program that works for me! 

So last week was week 1. My thoughts on the week, were that I bought a ton more fresh vegetables and I ate pretty good most days. I really didn't miss pop or most sugar most days. I did have to really think about what I was eating and plan ahead. The week wasn't without its ups and downs but overall I think it went pretty well. 

Saturday was the first real test as we went to my parents' house after dinner. EVERY time I go to their house, I tend to graze and snack and I will admit that I had a couple of cookies and some popcorn, but not anywhere near the amount I would typically eat. 

Sunday was weigh in day....the moment of truth to see if this way of eating was really working.... AND THE SCALE SAID::: 232.8!  SAY WHAT?!!?? I am DOWN 6.2 pounds this week! I would say that means this diet is working! My husband is also following this diet and he is down 4.2 pounds!

I am so excited! I am eating better (even if it means a lot more work on my part) and I do feel better. Sunday was free day and I really didn't eat all that great... we had McDonald's for lunch and hot dogs for dinner and I noticed by 9pm I wanted to eat sugar and drink pop and do all the things I know are not working for me and I didn't feel all that great. 

So I am going to keep on this route and see what continues to happen. I hope to regularly check in and (hopefully) continue to see my weight go down. Later today, I will share my meal plan for this week....

HAVE YOU EVER TRIED CARB CYCLING?
ANYONE HAVE ANY GOOD LOW CARB RECIPES THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE? 

  

1 comment:

  1. I have a Chris Powell book on my Kindle that I started but never got completely through...You have inspired me to maybe give it another look! My biggest issues are carbs, sugar, and diet soda!

    ReplyDelete