Sunday, January 29, 2023

Sunday in the Kitchen

Happy Sunday everyone! After a busy day yesterday at Solo and Ensemble with Rebecca, today was a day to get ready for the week. As we are all aware, the cost of groceries is skyrocketing and it's insane. To battle some of the rising costs, I am going to start making more things from scratch and making sure we do not waste produce. That is my focus right now. So today after teaching PSR, going to church, and waiting while my kiddos had youth choir practice, I came home and got to work in the kitchen. 

Today I made chocolate chip cookie bars (using a cake mix from the pantry that needed used up), from scratch brownies, and Cranberry-Orange bread to supplement breakfast offerings.


 

Then I laid down on the couch and took an hour-long nap! LOL 

After getting up from my nap, I made dinner and then cleaned up the dinner dishes before focusing on produce (mostly our veggies). I took all the produce out of my refrigerator and proceeded to chop and bag it up for easy access for the kids. I sliced up a red bell pepper and a green bell pepper, bagged up individual servings of baby carrots and cherry tomatoes, chopped up 2 English cucumbers and a huge head of broccoli. I also made four containers of salad for lunches (as Ben has been requesting salads for his school lunches lately.)


It feels good to have stuff prepared so that I can just throw it in the lunch bags in the mornings.

Now I am tired and going to post this and get ready for bed. I have a pretty busy week ahead, so I need my rest. 

Do you prep food for the week ahead? Do you make desserts for the week ahead? 

7 comments:

  1. Wow, you were super productive! Sunday has always been my baking day and sometimes prepping. Today I made a huge pot of tomato lentil soup, baked two kinds of biscuits and prepped some cheap carrots for the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so smart to get so much prepped. It is especially good when you know there is going to be a busy week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am hit and miss on the prepping of vegetables. Since I have had a fever for almost two weeks, it has been miss this time. I cannot bake desserts ahead or I would just eat it...lol. Kids need desserts; we do not! No wonder you needed a nap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Food prep always takes a lot of time & work, but it sure pays off when you're sick or have a busy week. I can't function without prepping all our food for the week. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Food prepping is something I still need to work on, but your post is so inspiring! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fresh veggies are one thing I need to get better about having. Hubby and I are doing better about eating more fresh fruit but the veggies tend to sit untouched until it's time to toss them out. And I'm slowly getting more into baking things from scratch. Made some homemade banana bread this weekend. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will you link a recipe for the chocolate chip bar cookie bars?
    I don't prep for the week ahead--but I don't work outside the home. When I did, Sunday would be prep day, particularly if work was exceptionally busy.
    I still haven't gotten my cooking muscles back, but I have been baking--I baked some scratch brownies to use a surplus of walnuts, as well as a pineapple-almond-custard tart, to use up a partially eaten can of pineapple someone opened, and left in the refrigerator. I also made a final loaf of cranberry-walnut-orange bread, to use up the last of some whole cranberries I had lurking from Christmas. DH and I were alone for dinner last night so I made maple glazed salmon and salad. Lookng back, meals were a crock-pot chicken and stuffng bake, beef pot pie, burgers a kid made, and...can't remember. I have no idea what to fix tonight--leaning towards meatloaf and mashed potatoes as I have a pound of ground beef in the refrigerator. I just don't feel like cooking much anymore, which is unusual. Although, it's not so much the cooking, it's the deciding what to make/planning which has me feeling so beleagured.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete