Monday, April 19, 2021

Update

 Well hello there. For those who still read my blog, I wanted to let you know that my blogging break is going to be going on a little bit longer. 

I am dealing with some health issues that have cropped up. Basically dealing with extreme fatigue, chest pains, high blood pressure, high heart rate, slight swelling etc. for the past 2 weeks. I get winded walking up the stairs. I feel like someone is pressing down on my shoulders and chest when I am brushing my hair or doing anything for more than a few minutes. I can't go walking on the bike path or anywhere really without being extremely worn out. Truth be told, I am exhausted ALL the time.

I was in the ER last Thursday with extremely high blood pressure, chest pain, rapid heart rate, etc. where the ER doc basically passed off my symptoms as "anxiety." I have had panic attacks/anxiety in the past and this is different. He said he couldn't see anything wrong in my blood work, the 2 second EKG that they did, or in the chest x-ray he ordered. So he sent me home. 

I saw my primary care doctor today and she is ticked off that the ER doc dismissed me. She was shocked that the ER doc didn't even mention cardiology given my family history (my mom had her first heart attack in her 40s, both grandmothers had multiple heart attacks, my mom's dad died of a massive heart attack in his late 40s, and my brother who is 5 years YOUNGER than me has had 2 stents placed in the last year). At today's appointment, she sent a referral to a cardiologist and is also ordering a stress test and a echocardiogram (something she says the cardiologist typically does but she wanted to get it into the system ASAP!). She also is putting me on a diuretic daily to go along with my blood pressure medicine and she wants me to start taking baby aspirin daily. She thinks there is definitely something going on with my heart. I am just sick and tired of being exhausted and having pain. My doc told me that if I don't hear from cardiology by tomorrow afternoon to call the cardiologist's office myself. 

So I am around. I have been reading the blogs that I follow on my phone however it is hard to make a post on my phone. I wanted to take a moment to give an update though. I would appreciate thoughts and prayers that my insurance will okay the echo and stress test and that I can be seen sooner rather than later. 

Hope everyone else is well!       

10 comments:

  1. Oh yes, Rachel, definitely sending positive thoughts your way. So much of what you describes mirrors what my husband dealt with at a couple times in the last decade, and yes, hear treated, but we did get ahead of it. I'm pleased your primary is advocating for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first thing I thought was having covid there might be symptoms from that but then read about your family history. Will be thinking of you and whatever it is it is a easy fix and you start feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always read your blog but have not commented before. I miss reading about your adventures! I will definitely be praying for you and sending positive thoughts your way. Please keep us updated as you learn anything. We are all rooting for you!
    Jackie in CA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Rachel I am so sorry you are going through this. Addingyou to my prayer list immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry! I missed reading your blog. I had weird palpitations about 20 years ago and had an echo and stress test- I was relieved and have been OK ever since. I'm not one to 'doctor' even with great medical insurance so it was significant or I would never have seen a cardiologist. Here's hoping you have your tests and everything is OK. I do take blood pressure pills and something for my hypothyroidism. Here's hoping everything checks out- please let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hang in there, Rachel. Sending positive thoughts your way. There are no days off when you're a mom and its so hard to deal with chronic health issues and illness. I wonder if this is something COVID did to your heart and your family history just made you more susceptible to it? Hope you get some answers and some relief!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fingers crossed that your insurance company will get things approved quickly and you can be seen asap! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wanted you to know I've been thinking of you and praying for you! Hope you have a healthy and happy weekend. Take care of yourself and your health, blogland can wait.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sending you positivity and well wishes that you can get straightened out and back to your normal self soon. May God bless you and your entire family! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad you are not ignoring this. I am a heart patient and when I look back at how long I ignored all of my symptoms, it scares the daylights out of me. I never dreamed I'd have to have a bypass surgery at age 42, but it ended up giving me my quality of life back. Praying they get to the bottom of this quickly! Glad to see an update from you and will keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete