Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Health update....including an emergency heart cath....

Hi everyone. Just wanted to give an update. (Some of you I am friends with on Facebook so you have seen these updates.) But Rebecca was mentioning that I hadn't written on my blog and I want to get back to writing, since it doesn't require a lot of physical energy.

So last time I wrote, I had seen my primary care doctor and she referred me to cardiology. Well, after calling multiple times and finally going through the patient advocate at the hospital, cardiology finally called me for an appointment. I was scheduled to see cardiology Friday morning at 9:30. I woke up Friday feeling like crap as I have been doing. 

Went to my appointment, where I described to the nurse what was going on, family history, etc. She mentioned she would do an EKG and then I was scheduled to see the nurse practitioner. Well,  she did the EKG on me and as soon as that was done and she looked at it she mentioned that the nurse practitioner and Dr. D would be in. Well, the nurse practitioner came in and basically said due to my family history, blood pressure and the abnormal EKG that they did, that he wanted me to have a heart catherization done ASAP. Dr. D. came in and took one look at me and said that he didn't want to wait on an echocardiogram or stress test, he wanted me to have a heart catherization THAT day. In fact, he had me wheeled down to the ER right then and there and sent the info to the catherization lab. The nurse practitioner and the cardiology nurse both stayed with me until I was in the ER. 

In the ER, I had the same doctor that I had the previous Thursday (who said it was anxiety) and he acted ticked off that cardiology was overriding him. While I was waiting, ER did an EKG and they said theirs looked fine and they didn't know why I was having a heart cath because I was so young, etc. Thankfully, cardiology had overridden the ER. 

The catherization lab came and got me from the ER and I had a heart catherization done through my wrist. Thankfully, but also frustratingly, they did not find any blockages. They found a slight blockage of 40% in one artery, but they don't intervene unless it is over 50%. After the catherization, they wheeled me to my hospital room. 

That clear bandage around my wrist is like a pressure cuff that they put on after the cath. They had to release the air in it slowly about 2.5 hours after surgery. It took 2 hours to release the air. 


About an hour after I was in the hospital room, I had an echocardiogram done on my heart. In that they found that I have a 20% myocardial bridge-- basically where part of one of the arteries goes into the heart muscle instead of laying on top of it. However, the cardiologist does not think that is causing my issues. 

Basically, as far as they can tell, or how I understand it, is that my heart muscle is irritated (Dr. D said it was angry) and this could be caused by the statins that I was on a couple weeks ago, very high cholesterol level, high stress, etc. It was basically a perfect storm. They started me on 2 new meds in the hospital. I was able to come home on Saturday afternoon with orders to rest, and take my meds. One of the most frustrating parts of all this was I wasn't home with the kids. We were able to talk on the phone but it was so hard hearing the boys cry when I couldn't be there to comfort them. I did have Ben laughing though when I told him that the doc was turning me into a Smurf with the blue sanitizer they had to use for my heart cath. 



Sunday I slept most of the day. Monday I had to call the cardiologist office again as my chest started really hurting again. Dr. D talked to the head cardiologist in the office and they started me on another med to help my blood vessels open up and hopefully stop the chest pain. So I am now on 6 different meds (3 of them I take 2 times a day).



Yesterday I didn't feel too bad. My chest really didn't hurt. I was able to take kids to school and pick them up. I was able to menu plan and spent some time sitting outside with the kids. This morning, I woke up with more chest pain and I get exhausted easily. I am frustrated at this point. 

Yesterday, I spent much of the day researching natural ways to lower cholesterol and coming up with a meal plan. I also started reading through a new book that I got that was highly recommended. 



I did go to the grocery store as I need to follow a diet to lower my cholesterol and I wanted to get some "Rachel friendly" foods. Grocery shopping itself wasn't too bad, as I could walk slow, take breaks as I was looking for food, etc. It was bringing in the groceries and putting it away that is doing me in today. I still have about 1/3 of the groceries to put away. I think that I will let Bill go next time now that I have some of the condiments and things I was looking for that I needed.  

Basically, the update then is that I am still frustrated that I am still feeling like this. I wish I had some concrete answers. I am so tired of being in pain and being tired all the time. The next step is to follow up with my primary care doctor on Monday and then with the cardiologist at the end of May. 

 

28 comments:

  1. That is scary. I returned home just about an hour ago. The doctor told me that I was a super cholesterol producer, or something like that. My body just produces a lot of cholesterol. He said there was little I could do to lower it through diet, that medicine was doing it for me. Of course, we can make it worse or help it a bit with diet. That was good news and discouraging. My next appointment is for a heart cath! I may need stints, maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly the heart cath itself wasn't too bad looking back on it. Apparently I have an allergy to statins so I have to try to lower my cholesterol through diet. There are other medications that are available however my insurance won't cover it since I haven't tried ALL the statins on the market.

      Delete
  2. Sending good thoughts to you! I hope you are able to recover at home, and catch a break. Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I hope you feel better soon. that sounds really scary. I can't imagine dealing with all that at once.
    Sending good vibes and prayers.
    -Sage

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel look they are taking you serious except the moron in the ER who should know cardiology would go over him. Relax, give the meds time to work, and call if something doesn't seem right. Ask how long will it take for the meds to work. You have 3 beautiful children you can do this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl and cityhomemaker, I was just frustrated. I understand that they are doing their jobs. I am really trying to not be so frustrated.

      Delete
  5. Been thinking of you. Sounds very scary and like a lot to process. Prayers for continued health and healing for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry you are going through this right now Rachel. Sending every good thought your way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! A heart cath is a big deal- take care of yourself and rest. I have been following the Mediterranean way of eating this year- it's not really a diet per se but lots of fish, beans, vegetables, whole grains and olive oil. I haven't lost a lot of weight but I feel great. I imagine your family would balk it at but you could incorporate it into your meals- more green vegetables and less bread. I made a big pot of red beans and brown rice the other day and ate it for 3 days! It wasn't too bad knowing what I would have for lunch and dinner. Lots of days I'll have oats or cottage cheese for breakfast and I have made whole wheat pizza a couple of times. Can you find a relaxing hobby and I know you like to read? Keep us informed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nan. I have been trying to eat better....a lot more veggies and fruit with chicken and fish. I have also taken to eating oatmeal or cheerios for breakfast with fruit.

      Delete
  8. I hope you get the appropriate care and diagnosis soon. I've read over and over that doctors don't take women seriously when it comes to cheat pain and your situation seems to confirm this. When it comes to cholesterol, oat bran is the answer. No kidding! There is an old book, maybe from the '80s, called The 8-week Cholesterol Cure by Robert Kowalski. Trust me, it really works! See if you can find it at a library. Oat bran muffins are tasty and there's other great info in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear friend,
    I am so sorry!
    Please rest,and remember to be your own best advocate! Sounds as if you are!
    Please reach out if you need anything!
    Prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How are things going Rachel. Has any of the meds helped and is the pain lessening at all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The meds have helped some with the angina. I still get shoulder pain on the left side. I just posted another health update.

      Delete
  11. Just a question, I certainly understand with your family history looking specifically at cardiology but I couldn’t remember, did you have Covid? Or have you been tested for Covid antibodies? Now days post Covid long haul cardiac, exhaustion, inflammation....... is being treated. My RN daughter does homecare with long haulers with multiple symptoms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have COVID in late November/early December. The cardiologist does not believe it affected my heart, but rather it was a reaction to the statins. Personally I think it was a perfect storm that happened. I can't say for sure if COVID affected my heart or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. I will say that when I was the hospital they tested for COVID and for the antibodies and I did not have any.

      Delete
  12. Sorry to reply so long but if you look up Covid long haulers symptoms my gosh, I think it can cause inflammation with your similar symptoms and now they have long haulers clinics. My daughter said what is weird is some of the symptoms exhaustion, brain fog, cardiac pain, racing heart ...... have started months afterwards when seemingly had been doing fairly well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry to reply so long but if you look up Covid long haulers symptoms my gosh, I think it can cause inflammation with your similar symptoms and now they have long haulers clinics. My daughter said what is weird is some of the symptoms exhaustion, brain fog, cardiac pain, racing heart ...... have started months afterwards when seemingly had been doing fairly well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry to reply so long but if you look up Covid long haulers symptoms my gosh, I think it can cause inflammation with your similar symptoms and now they have long haulers clinics. My daughter said what is weird is some of the symptoms exhaustion, brain fog, cardiac pain, racing heart ...... have started months afterwards when seemingly had been doing fairly well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The aorta is designed in a way to absorb the pressure of the flowing blood and still maintaining its shape and flexibility. Aneurysm is the case when the aorta is no longer strong enough to maintain its shape and ceases in its function causing the abdominal aorta to swell, leading to aging of the wall of the aorta. diabetic chipotle



    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic website. A lot of helpful info here. I am sending it to some friends ans additionally sharing in delicious. And obviously, thank you to your effort! Feel free to visit my website; 온라인슬롯
    (mm)

    ReplyDelete
  17. So just to end I would definitely recommend the use of online chemists as the quickest and cheapest form of getting your pharmacy products at the very best all round deal as I have. 4f mph vendor

    ReplyDelete