Saturday, September 11, 2021

Shopping deals, new recipes and losing weight

Happy Saturday everyone! How's your day going? Mine is going well. I spent the morning running a couple of errands that resulted in great results. The kids and I went to Goodwill to look for a homecoming dress for Rebecca. Well she scored one for $2.49! I also found black dress shoes for Jacob that he needs for choir for $9.99; they look brand new! Then it was off to Walmart to see if they had black dress pants for Jacob and Rebecca that are needed for required choir clothes. Well, Rebecca found a black pair of dress pants on clearance for $9...but they rang up for $4! Even better. She also found a pair of black flats for her required choir concert attire for $9. So I will say that that was a successful shopping trip this morning.

What else has been going on around here? 

Well, on Labor Day, I spent the day doing things in the kitchen. Prepping food for the week and making banana bread. I did try 2 new crockpot recipes this week and 1 new casserole this week and only 1 was a keeper. I tried Taco Rice Casserole, which Linda had recommended. I don't think that I will make it again as it was just okay. It wasn't anything special and the kids and Bill said that if I made it they would eat it, but they wouldn't request it.


 

I tried Firecracker Chicken Pasta in the crockpot. Bill and I liked it. The kids really didn't as they thought it was too spicy even though I doubled the cream and did not use as much hot sauce. 



On Thursday night I made Crockpot Frito Chili Pie. This was a winner with everyone as the flavor was super yummy. It will give me another option for a chili type meal.  



I loved the convenience of having dinner ready this week as I ended up being called into work all 4 school days! 



I spent 3 days at the elementary school Benjamin goes to and 1 day at the high school being a substitute cook. I like the work, and so far I like everyone that I have worked with. It is tiring work but it is good. I will say that by 1PM on Friday though I was exhausted. One of the women that I worked on Friday even told me that I could go home as I looked exhausted. 4 days in a row may be pushing it just yet. Next week I am already scheduled for Monday and Tuesday at a different elementary. On Wednesday I will not be subbing as I have to babysit my niece and nephew as they do not have school. 


One bad thing about working the hours that I do (usually 9-1/1:30) is that I am too tired to work out at home. However, the job is physically demanding as such that I am still losing weight. In fact, I have lost almost 5 pounds in the last 2.5 weeks AND I am officially down a pant size! I had to wear a belt on Thursday as my jeans were very loose. On Friday, I put a pair on that was a size smaller and they fit! YAHOO! 

This morning I weighed myself and I am under 235lbs for the first time in a VERY LONG TIME! I weighed in at 234.4! When I started my health journey back at the end of March I weighed in at 262.6 at the doctor's office. That means I have lost 28 pounds in about 5 months! I will take it! 

Well, I think I am going to wrap this up here as this is getting pretty long. I need to go flip laundry too. 

What are you up to today? Anyone else finding any good deals at the thrift store or other stores? Anything fun going on? 

Have a great weekend! 

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your weight loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job losing weight! Make sure you are pacing yourself with the work, & getting enough rest. Sounds like you are doing great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying. Some days it is harder than other days!

      Delete
  3. That is a great weight loss. Good for you! I wonder if you got enough cheese or taco seasoning in that dish. We think it is tasty. Too bad it was not for you as it is nutritious, a whole meal. Does the doctor care if you work so hard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The doctor does not yet know that I am working again. I don't see her for a couple more weeks. I am listening to my body though and trying to rest when I can.

      Delete
  4. You look great! Congrats on the weight loss! Sounds like you scored some great deals. I found some potting soil at Target this morning marked down to $2.50 a bag so that was kind of exciting in a not exactly why I went in to the store kind of way ;) Glad you found one meal that was a keeper out of the crockpot dishes you tried. Hope the rest of your weekend is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought I'd lose a few pounds after my summer break and going back to my lunch lady job. Well, it didn't happen. It's a mystery that we can work so hard, yet not lose weight. Glad you were able to! You look great! Stay away from the food or just eat salads. lol. Tater tots and fries are very tempting! I read your previous post where you said you fell asleep at dinner time. Well, that's me. I barely have any energy left after I come home to even prepare dinner these days. I'm going to be 63 this month and I've decided this is my last year working at this job. I will become a sub as they don't usually get the tougher work like tilt skillet cooking and putting away truck deliveries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't eat the food at the schools. Too much processed and/ or it just looks unappetizing after serving it to 200+ kids or more. LOL

      Delete