Sunday, February 6, 2022

Sledding Fun and Homemade Junior Big Mac

Happy Sunday everyone! Taking this opportunity to sit down and rest after a busy morning. The kids and I went to PSR where I had to teach 5/6th grades and boy were they squirrely this morning. Then we went to mass. After mass, we headed to Walmart so that I could get Jacob some black pants and a white shirt for his choir concert tomorrow (that I may have forgotten about him needing until this morning! oops!) Thankfully, I was able to find some and spent less than $20. I also picked up a few groceries and then it was home to put groceries away, make the kids lunch (used up some leftovers), answer a few texts from my boss, and then clean up the kitchen and try to figure out our meal plan for next week. Finally, able to sit for a moment before I have to get up again and cut the boys' hair. 

Yesterday, was a fairly fun day for the kids. The boys' basketball games got cancelled as the side roads were still crappy and so we took advantage of that and went out to my parents' house to sled. They have a very nice hill in their backyard that is perfect for sledding. First though it took Bill and I about 40 minutes to de-ice and de-snow the van so that we could leave. LOL Thankfully, the main roads weren't too bad, and it was a smooth drive out to my parents. 

The kids had a blast sledding down the hill for several hours.





 


My sister and I even got in on the fun with a couple of runs down the hill. 






We also had fun playing with my sister's dog Mango. Mango loves the snow and loves catching snowballs in her mouth and dragging us around. 




After several hours, we decided to head home so that Bill could clean his van off as he had to head out to work early this morning. I also wanted to try my hand at making homemade Big Macs for dinner. I had been craving a good burger and I was able to find some gluten free buns for Ben, so that is what we had. I grilled burgers on the foreman grill and Bill made up a version of Big Mac Sauce, using thousand island dressing, mayo, and relish. It was pretty close to the real thing. I made French fries in the air fryer, and we had a great meal! 



I am struggling with making up a meal plan for this coming week as we have a pretty busy week, and I just am out of ideas. Tonight, I will be making waffles and sausage for the boys. Rebecca will eat at youth group. Bill and I, I think, are going to get takeout for date night since we missed our typical Thursday lunch or Saturday night date. 

What have you been up to this weekend? Have you ever gone sledding? What are you fixing this week for dinner? Have you ever tried to make a copycat recipe of a restaurant favorite? 


7 comments:

  1. Sledding has to be the best thing about winter in my book. What fun! The bug mac's sound delicious. I made a big pot of soup and Dutch oven bread is rising now to go with it. I have zoom book club. I hope to take a shower and be cuddled in PJs before, but we've got a tub faucet issue and hubs is swearing up a blue streak tackling it. Water is off so using other bathroom is a no go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We make up a similar sauce for our burgers, and it's delicious. We have a lot going on this week, so have a similar challenge! We're going to keep it simple with baked chicken & ravioli, chicken tacos, a new pasta sauce I found at Trader Joes, and gyozos and wings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have inspired me. I have never had big mac sauce except at MacD. I will have to get buns or eat them plain or with bread. It looks like you and the kids had a good sled day.

    I went sledding once and then only one time down a big hill in Rochester, NY, and bil laid on the sled with me on top. That was scary and not one bit of fun. I have a pot of soup on. It will do for a few meals this week, and I plan to roast a turkey or t breast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your snow pictures are beautiful and it looks like so much fun!
    I have tried copying foods from places we go all the time. Sometimes it is very close and sometimes not so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your big mac sauce sounds spot on! Sledding was such a great winter past time for me as a child, loved the pictures. I spent some time with my granddaughter and family this weekend, she is one, which is such a fun age to watch. Enjoy your week.-Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't been sledding in years! Wondering when I became such a chicken because I can tell your family was having a blast doing it. Love a big mac every once in a while. I have a copycat Chik-Fil-A recipe I found on-line that's a favorite around here. Today's my husband's birthday so I'm making chocolate cake for dinner, ha (we're eating out first). Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That burger looks delicious! And sledding is a great thing for the kids in the winter! And look at you, having fun too!!! Yay! Pizza Burgers are an easy but good dinner. I have a post about it a few back. Have a good week, my friend!

    ReplyDelete