Thursday, February 3, 2022

Winter Storm Today

Happy Thursday everyone from our sleet covered and now snow covered home! We, like millions of others, are being affected by the winter storm hitting the US today. We woke up to everything covered in ice and it continued to sleet all day long. Thankfully, the kids' school district called a snow day for today and Bill was already scheduled to be a day off for work, so we have hunkered down and just spent the day at home.

First let's back up a bit to the weather on Tuesday. Tuesday was absolutely gorgeous around here. It was sunny and 50 degrees. In fact, after I worked, I decided to head over to the park and walk for about 25 minutes before it was time to pick up kids from school. It was so pretty, and it felt so good to be outside and getting some fresh air. 

Gorgeous sunrise to start the day

someone built a snowman 

The ducks were enjoying the sunshine.

Enjoyed seeing the different animal footprints.


The lakes looked like a field. This is a huge lake. 

They have added a couple little free libraries throughout. I picked up a book to read. 

Wednesday it rained all day long. It was dreary and just yucky out. I had a good day at work. The head cook and I acted like it was Friday and closed up the kitchen in anticipation of snow days to come. I made potato soup for dinner in the crockpot, with homemade gluten free cream of chicken soup. It was super yummy and hit the spot on a cold, rainy damp day. 

This was so good! 

This is what it looked like out our kitchen window last night. 


By last night the rain turned into freezing rain and we woke up to ice everywhere this morning.

That is not snow on the road, it is a thick layer of ice. 

This morning, I told Bill that he was in charge of the kids all day since he has worked their last 3 snow days. LOL I took advantage of the day and make myself a yummy breakfast, instead of eating something quickly while I am in between taking kids to school. 



I read the rest of my Danielle Steele book. I watched the birds that were coming to feed at our birdfeeders on our porch, including some fat birdies. 



I took a nap this afternoon. It was nice. When I woke up around 4:45 it had finally switched from freezing rain to snow. We have already gotten a few inches of snow, so we shall see what we end up with.

The sleet turned over to snow around 4:30. It's been snowing ever since. 

It's going to be fun trying to get into the van. 



School has already been cancelled for tomorrow. Roads look horrible. We are under a Level 2 Snow emergency, which means only go out if you absolutely have to and call ahead to work to see if you are needed. I am sure Bill will have to go to work in the morning, if he can get out of our road. We are supposed to get about 6 inches of snow overnight. The problem is that salt trucks and plows are out, but they can't do anything about that layer of ice under the snow and the cold doesn't help. Right now, it is 23 degrees, but real feel is 3 degrees! I am hoping and praying we don't end up losing power. We shall see.

What's the weather where you are tonight? Are you feeling the effects of this winter storm?  
   

8 comments:

  1. We got the ice late Tuesday night and then it started to snow Wednesday and I think it finally stopped late this afternoon. But now it’s going to be cold and windy. I think we have ten niches of snow on top of the ice. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yuck is right. We ended up getting about 1/2 inch of ice and then about 6 inches of snow on top of it. Wind chills today are around zero. It is yuck.

      Delete
  2. That ice looks wretched! I hope you are all safe-those are the days when getting the mail can be a dangerous feat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were watching cars sliding. We didn't go anywhere today either (Bill called off of work). Thankfully our mailbox is on our covered porch, but no worries about mail today as all govt offices, including post office, was closed today due to weather.

      Delete
  3. That Kidd book is great! There is a movie too but the book is better. I've read her "The Invention of Wings" as well. thumbs up!
    We are iced in as well....sigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate ice. I would have started reading that book today, but it is in the van which is still covered with ice and snow.

      Delete
  4. We are not iced in. In fact I only remember being iced in maybe 2 times in my life, plus I have never had to shovel snow.

    ReplyDelete