Tuesday, April 11, 2023

I chaperoned a Disney trip--- Day 1 and 2: the drive there and Hollywood Studios

Happy Tuesday everyone! Today has been a gorgeous day here in Ohio with temperatures in the low 70s and bright sunshine. Just a perfect Spring Day. It was also our first day back to school/work after Spring Break. It wasn't too bad of a day! 

I thought I would hop on her to start the recap of my adventures at Disney/Universal Studios last weekend. 

As I mentioned I signed up to be a parent chaperone for the High School Band, Choir and Orchestra trip to Florida. Rebecca asked me if I would go and while it was a stretch financially, we made it happen. 

Last Thursday at 12:05PM, 4 charter buses full of students, the band-choir and orchestra directors, and the parent chaperones headed out for a 20+ hour bus ride to Florida. Thankfully, I had a double seat to myself as a chaperone. 

Me, Rebecca and her 3 roommates for the trip on the bus ready to go


I will say that one of the funnier moments came when we entered Kentucky, and our bus (which was most of the choir kids) broke out in song for the high school alma mater, but in a very country Kentucky accent. 

The ride down wasn't horrible. I read a book on the route. We stopped for dinner and a gas stop at Buc-ees. We had never been there and it was an experience. Rebecca said that it freaked her out. LOL 

Yes, I made Rebecca take a picture with the Buc-ees mascot. LOL


Back on the bus, it was lights out around 11. Sleeping was next to impossible. However, it was nice to have some quiet. 




We got to see the sunrise in Florida. And we arrived at The Rainforest Cafe around 7:30ish to meet our tour directors. We went through security and had a lovely buffet breakfast at Rainforest Cafe, where we were also able to change clothes and freshen up as we were spending the day at Hollywood Studios! 

We headed to Hollywood Studios and the first character that I saw in my 1st trip ever to Disney was Daisy Duck! 



I spent the morning with Rebecca and her friends where we rode a couple of rides including Mickey's railway ride and a Toy Story themed ride. 






After that I then decided to let them go off and have fun and I walked around by myself and just enjoyed being there. 

I had a lot of fun going through the different areas. I really enjoyed the Star Wars area and even had "Blue Milk" to drink. It was a yummy fruity, coconutty concoction. Super Yummy. I saw storm troopers and Chewbacca and Rey. I also got to meet Chewbacca and Darth Vader.









I also got to meet Pluto! It was a load of fun just walking around people watching and character watching. I had dinner at Dockside Diner, where I had a yummy hot dog with avocado and slaw and some other things on it. I also had a lemonade slushie, which was super yummy on the hot day. 





Towards the end of the night, we all met up again to watch Fantasmic!, which is a light and sound extravaganza featuring Mickey and all of his friends. It was amazing! Truly a show to see! 

Our High School choir, band and orchestra group waiting for Fantasmic to start. 







Then it was back to the bus and head to the hotel for check in. This is where things got a little crazy. We had to wait for Hollywood Studios parking people to allow the buses to come through, so we stood around in one area of the parking lot for almost an hour waiting. Then when we got to the hotel, there had been a mix-up and where we were supposed to be staying, they only had rooms for the boys. The girls were staying in another hotel across the courtyard. When some of the girls went to their rooms, their key cards wouldn't work. One set of girls had 2 different room numbers on their cards and neither worked. One set of girls' key cards worked, but there were other people's things in their rooms. It was crazy. Thankfully, for Rebecca and her roommates and for my other 4 girls I was in charge of their rooms were fine and their cards worked out. 

Let me tell you, my shower that night and that hotel bed felt SO good after being on the bus all the night before and being in Hollywood Studios all day. We finally got to bed around 1am, and our call time for breakfast the next day was 7am before a full day at Universal Studios! 

Have you ever been to Hollywood Studios? Who is your favorite Disney character? Do you think I was insane agreeing to chaperone, especially with my bum knee? 

14 comments:

  1. Oh how fun!! And exhausting!! Hope your knee is ok.
    Thanks for the pictures, and I want to try that blue milk.
    We have been to Disneyworld 4 times and Universal twice. I actually prefer Disney since I'm not a fan of thrill rides/roller coasters anymore. Our last trip was in 2017, so we haven't seen Star Wars galaxy land but it looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Star Wars land was probably the highlight for me at Hollywood Studios. Definitely worth it.

      Delete
  2. I have never been, but now I am enjoying it through your eyes. It all looks like fun. You are brave and should have gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been to Disney or any of that, my youngest went just this last May on a band trip but we let him go on his own (since our oldest had gone on a band trip on his own his junior year). I would've went in a heartbeat if he'd asked me to come along though. I think it's wonderful you went and made those great memories with your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! If you stopped at Buc-ees in Richmond you were so close to me...I would have loved to come meet you and the kiddo's! I know you had THE BEST TIME.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did stop at that Buc-ees. I didn't know when or where we were stopping for breaks. Next time I am in the area we should definitely meet up.

      Delete
  5. I haven't been to Disneyworld in 20+ years. It's been a LONG time! I loved it, though & really enjoyed the experience. So glad you got a chance to go & spend time with the kids, & explore a bit on your own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have never been before this trip. It was definitely a memorable experience.

      Delete
  6. I don't know that I'd have chaperoned, but I think you are wonderful for doing so! Frankly, I despise theme parks with a flaming passion, and wouldn't step foot in one. Our Panhandle home was a doable drive to Disneyworld, and still I refused to go. I know other people LOVE them, but I don't. Oh, I wish I did, but I don't, and didn't even as a kid. But, that's me. I'm glad you and your daughter got to spend this time together. I'm sure she will remember it forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im not usually a fan of theme/amusement parks either, but I wanted to experience Disney at least once in my life.

      Delete
  7. My niece is going on a trip like that with her band in June and it sounds awful and exhausting to me (so, I think it would be insane to chaperone with good knees!!!) ... but I would have been beyond excited to be able to do something like that when I was in high school. What a memorable experience for Rebecca and its very nice that she asked you to chaperone. I've been to Hollywood Studios, but have never seen Fantasmic.

    We went to a Buc-ee's this summer for the first time! It was kind of crazy and crowded, but also kind of fun.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your niece has fun! I can't imagine going in June or the summer with the humidity! It was hot enough for me when we went. Buc-ees was fun, although the mascot creeped Rebecca out! LOL

      Delete