Friday, December 7, 2018

Our Christmas Traditions: Feast of St. Nicholas

We are a Catholic family. As our children have come along and we have started new traditions in our home, one of the traditions that we have done is to do a simple celebration of the Feast of St. Nicholas. The evening of December 5, we all leave a shoe out for a treat to be placed by "St. Nick" overnight while we are sleeping. It is our tradition that the kids get a new ornament for the Christmas tree that symbolizes something that is going on in their lives and  they also get a treat. Some years Bill and I get ornaments, other years we do not.

This year was no exception. Before bed, we placed our shoes in the hallway upstairs to await St. Nick's arrival. (We put the shoes upstairs this year instead of by the front door, as my babysitting kid arrive before my kids have to get up for school and I didn't want them to get into my kids' things.)

And St. Nick did not disappoint.



This year Rebecca received a theater ornament and a pack of m&ms.


Jacob received an "Undertaker" wrestling ornament and a pack of m&ms.



Benjamin received a "Macho Man Randy Savage" wrestling ornament and a pack of m&ms.



Bill and I each received a pack of Reese's big cups. They were yummy!

This is one of the traditions that our kids look forward to and it is a fun way to celebrate the holidays!

2 comments:

  1. We were never one to do the St Nicholas day shoe. neither of us grew up with it, so not something I thought to add. I have several friends though that really like the simplicity of it it , often done before the school day starts. It is a lovely tradition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither my husband nor I did this tradition growing up. Rebecca did it in preschool and asked why St. Nick didn't come to our house. I was looking for someway to give the kids their yearly ornaments in a special way, so it kind of came together.

      Delete