Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Resolutions to problems and Aladdin

Happy Wednesday! In my world, Monday and today brought some resolutions to some problems that were weighing me down. 

Monday morning, I got a phone call from Ben's nephrologist's office. His blood work and urine results were back. The numbers are slowly moving in the right direction. They are moving a little slower than we would like but they are moving in the right direction so we are to stay the course with the 3 blood pressure meds, twice daily recording of blood pressures and trying to keep a low sodium diet for Ben. And we don't have to see Dr. Patel until August (barring any changes).

After that phone call, I got the mail. In it was a letter from insurance denying the medication request for Jacob as it was not on their preferred medications list. We still had one other medication to try that was on THEIR list that we would have to try first, even though this was not the doctor's choice. Ugh. Before I could call the doctor's office, they called me. They said that they would have a prescription for the new medicine that insurance would approve ready for us that morning. Bill picked it up on Monday afternoon and Jacob started taking it yesterday. Let me tell you, I noticed a huge difference in Jacob yesterday afternoon. He wasn't making extra flapping movements, he was able to focus, etc. He even said he felt better than he had all last week. Hopefully this medicine will work. (And before anyone asks, the medication that the doc originally wanted him on would have been close to $500 for a months supply so out of our price range in order to pay cash for so not an option.) 

Finally, on Monday I also decided to log onto the IRS website to see if they had processed our return. We filed back in the beginning of March. State refund arrived, our city taxes were filed. IRS kept saying it was processing. Around the 15th of April, we get a letter saying that they were holding our refund because they were researching our filing however there wasn't anything WE needed to do. Instead they needed to reach out to other parties to get more information. They said this could take 60 days. Ugh. Well if you aren't counting business days then that would put us around the 15th of this month. I decided to log on to their website on Monday to see if anything had changed. To my pleasant surprise it had. Our refund was scheduled to be sent to our bank today and it was in their this morning! YAHOO! I am not sure what was going on with it, however I have my suspicions it has to do with one of Bill's employers (the sub shop) who never took federal taxes out and said that he had received tips that he never received. Oh well, not my worry now that Bill is at his new job. I didn't realize how much that was bothering me until it was deposited this morning. Feels like a weight off my shoulders. 



Yesterday, we decided to go out and splurge a little bit (knowing that our tax refund was scheduled to come) and we took the kids to see the new "Aladdin" movie with Will Smith as the Genie. I still found a deal as at our UEC theater it was Bargain Tuesday where tickets all day are $5 and if you use your loyalty card you get a free popcorn for each ticket. So I only had to pay for drinks :) 
The kids LOVED the movie. I thought the singing was fantastic and that Will Smith did a great job. I was kind of annoyed at the actor who plays Aladdin. He just didn't have the energy that I thought was needed. Overall, I would give it a B- grade. There are lots of movies coming out this Summer that I want to take the kids to see including "Toy Story 4" and "Lion King" (I CANNOT WAIT for that one!) and now that I know about Bargain Tuesdays I will try to take them on a Tuesday ;) 

I have done a tutoring session so far today, but now I need to get the kids some lunch before my babysitting kiddo comes. I also need to work on laundry and some bill paying; you know that fun adulting stuff ;) I hope everyone has a good Wednesday! 


6 comments:

  1. I'm never on blogspot. Sorry to learn of Ben's issues. FYI: many drug companies offer copay assistance programs to help patients access their medications. I've been on several specialty pharm rxs, to the tune of over $3700 a month at the moment, yet I have never paid a penny for any of them. Other, less "special" meds have similar programs that eat most of the OOP cost. Have you searched on line? also ask the nephrologist's office. Coupons and voucher info is often dropped of by drug co reps. Many of these programs are not income dependant. HTH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were actually given a card to get the medicine for the first month free while we waited for insurance. However, they still had to run it through insurance before they could apply it. The pharmacy said that it was a new protocol that they had to follow. So of course insurance told them they couldn't apply it until they authorized it, which of course they didn't. It is stupid. Thankfully the first 2 days on the "authorized" meds seem to be helping Jacob so we will just go from there. Thanks for the information though. I will keep that in mind next time.

      Delete
  2. Hello Rachel!
    I am happy to hear you had some positive news this week!
    We didn't see Aladdin, but are looking forward to Toy Story!!!
    Have a nice relaxing day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Billie Jo! The boys, especially Ben, are really looking forward to Toy Story. Might have to be a mommy and boys date as Bill said he didn't care if he saw it and Rebecca said she would rather see the new Spiderman movie coming out. LOL

      Delete
  3. You sure have been going through a lot lately - I'm hoping you are on an upward trend now with getting a better medication for Benjamin plus getting your refund. Stress is a terrible thing isn't it? My daughter has been dealing with it for at least a year now and it's not fun. Thinking of you all... and wow, when did Rebecca get so tall!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane! So sorry your daughter is still dealing with stress. It sucks. And yes Rebecca is almost as tall as I am. It is crazy how much she has sprouted this year.

      Delete