Saturday, December 28, 2019

Christmas Eve and Christmas Day 2019

Before I recap our Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, I wanted to share with you all something that brought a smile to my face on the eve of Christmas Eve. I was doing dishes and looked out my kitchen window to see Santa and the Grinch on motorcycles out on our road. Apparently, these 2 guys do this every year in our town but this is the first year I saw them. 



This Christmas Eve we were dealing with illness. Jacob still wasn't feeling 100%. Ben was feeling bad and had a slight fever. It was really foggy out. Oh and did I mention that our hot water tank decided to spring a leak! 


However, we made the best of the situation. 

Our tradition is that we usually go out to our local Mexican restaurant and have a nice dinner out. Well with 2 kids being sick, we decided to get take out. Bill got Mexican food for us and got McDonald's for the kids. It wasn't our norm but was still a nice dinner at home.




After dinner, we "received" a package on the porch from Santa that said that since we were sick they mailed the package this year. Inside was wrapped up presents from Mrs. Claus that contained our traditional new pajamas.








After we changed into pajamas, we watched the movie "Elf" as per tradition. Then the kids went to bed and Bill and I got the presents under the tree before retiring to bed ourselves ready for big day!



Christmas morning the kids got us up around 8:05 and we headed downstairs to open stockings and presents. Ben still was not feeling 100% but he was fever free. From Santa Rebecca received a sewing machine, Jacob received an Ultimate Warrior wrestling figure, wrestling cards and NFL cards,  and Benjamin received a wrestling ring and 3 different wrestlers including the Undertaker.





The kids took turns opening their gifts and they loved them all. We did the 4 gift rule this year--- something to read, something to watch, something to wear (they all got hoodies), and something to play with. They loved the presentation of the gifts within the snowmen. I received some lovely gifts as well--- a very soft nightgown, a new Nora Roberts book, a griddle, a new knife set, and a special gift from Bill that blew me away (I will recap that gift tomorrow as it needs it's own explanation!). After gift opening we just hung out for a bit. 



Then we headed to my parents house for Christmas dinner. There the kids got some more fun gifts (much needed tennis shoes for all 3 kids, wanted dvds, Ben got some X-Men figures, and Rebecca got a boombox). 




It was a lovely afternoon finished off by Chinese takeout for the adults for dinner and pizza for the kids. Super easy and no one had to cook. 




After dinner, mom pulled out some fireball whiskey she had gotten and some apple crown royal for me to try. Not a fan of the crown royal but the fireball whiskey was pretty good ;)




Christmas evening was much different from Thanksgiving. It was stress free and everyone got along. The only negative was that my brother did not say one word to anyone except my mom. He never acknowledge me or Bill or the kids. It was weird. Before everyone left for the night we took our traditional family pictures...







We came home so that Bill could get ready to go to work and Christmas night I went to bed with a full heart and thankful for a nice Christmas. 

10 comments:

  1. Probably OK that your brother just ignored and let you enjoy others company. Rude though that he ignored kids. I hope you all get better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah probably it was for the best. I don't know. I just don't understand him.

      Delete
  2. I would not been bothered by his not talking. I guess the kids were not hurt considering they know how things are. It sounds like you had a very good day. Tommy laughed at the Grinch and Santa out for a ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids understand that their uncle does not live like we do.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you had a really nice Christmas (despite the sickness). Fun photo of Santa and the Grinch :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. I can feel the joy. I love the four gift rule and how each child got their gifts stacked like a snowman. I saw that on Facebook and thought it was a really neat idea. The pajamas are great too! Eeek, a leak in the water heater! I hope that never happens to us as ours is in the laundry room right next to the kitchen. No basements in Alabama. My brother doesn't talk to any of his 4 sisters, including me. We have not seen or heard from him since my dad's funeral in April 2018. He got mad about matters concerning dad's estate and disappeared from our lives. Families are crazy sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Families are crazy at times that is for sure. We haven't spoken to Bill's step sister in 4 years, but we got a Christmas card from them this year. Thankfully the water heater was an easy fix and I discovered it sooner rather than later.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad things went more smoothly than thanksgiving.
    And your mom? Is she doing better dealing with everything? I hope so.

    Thanks for the long chatty photo-filled holiday post.
    I always enjoy reading what your family is up to.

    Great PJ's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks 56steps. Mom is doing okay. I think she is dealing with things better but also so busy trying to give my niece and nephew a perfect Christmas so not sure.

      Delete