Wednesday, December 11, 2019

New and Reused Christmas Decorations for this year

This year I decided to spruce up some of our Christmas decorations-- adding in a few new simple changes and breathing some new life into our older Christmas decor. 

Over the last few years I have really wanted to get some Christmas pillows but HATE the thought of spending $14+ on one pillow, especially when we have perfectly good pillows on our couches. Well, I was browsing Amazon one night and found the perfect solution. I was able to get 6 pillow covers for less than $20 total. We have navy blue slipcovers on our couch and love seat, so I wanted to get something that wasn't red or green but was more festive than our orange and navy pillows that we had on our couch.

I ended up with these grey pillow covers for our larger 2 pillows and Christmas themed ones from Phantoscope brand for our 4 smaller throw pillows. They are GREAT quality and really add a special feeling to our living room! 






I have also added lights to our kitchen window this year, as last year I felt that the only Christmas we really had was in the living room (where we put our Christmas tree.) When we were putting up our Christmas tree I found a new unopened box of lights that we had bought last year. We needed half of them for the tree this year as we had a string that wasn't working, but there was still a whole strand left. So I used them in the kitchen window. I love being in the kitchen now as it is festive! 



I also added a new Christmas sloth figurine to my kitchen window sill that my mom bought me when we were in Pepper Pike a couple weekends ago with my sister. (I love sloths!) 




Finally, I bought a new sign for the outside of our entry door. I had a small metal sign that said Merry Christmas. It was looking bad. I thought about making a sign, and had actually gone to the store to price supplies out when I came across this sign (which is actually a yard sign, meant to put in your lawn) however I thought it would be perfect on our door and it was only $6. I couldn't buy the supplies for a sign for less than that so I was sold. I love it! 



Other that that we have used what we have. In fact, I have moved things around and changed things up a little bit and it makes our decor seem fresher. One of the big changes I made was that I decided not to place ALL of the stuffed animals around the bottom of our Christmas tree. I have TONS of Christmas stuffed animals that we used to put around the bottom of the tree to keep the kids from messing with the ornaments. Well the kids are older and I didn't want the mess. Instead we put a train around the bottom of the tree and it looks much better. I did put a couple out in front of our fireplace screen (our fireplace is non-functional) so that Ben could still play with a few and "A" that I babysit could as well. 




I moved a snowman sign that I used to hang in the bathroom to our front door. ( I am thinking I may redo the wood sign on the snowman, making it with Merry Christmas instead of the Happy Holidays--I just prefer saying Merry Christmas. For this year though it stays the same.) 




And I used my Santa cookie jar, that was my last Christmas present from my late Grandmother as our Advent countdown candy holder. In the past, I have bought the kids those cheap advent countdown calendars with a piece of chocolate behind each door. Well the last 2 years the kids haven't wanted to eat their chocolate as it tasted cheap and bad. This year I decided we could still do a countdown and read a Christmas story each night, but we could do a piece of good candy and they could pick from the Santa jar. I put nestle crunch bells, kit-Kat's, twix, etc. in there for the kids to pick. They are loving this much better than the gross chocolate from last year. And I am loving that I get to put my cookie jar into use and get reminded of my Grandma every night as the kids (and Bill and I too ;) get their candy. 




I also put Bill's Charlie Brown tree that he used to have at work in the kitchen this year. 




I am very happy with how the decorations have turned out this year! Decorations don't have to be expensive or bought new every year. I love the way mine have turned out this year incorporating a couple new things, reusing older decorations in new ways and keeping some decorations the same. 

Do you buy new decorations every year or reuse what you have? 

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely love all your Christmas decorations. And what a great idea for your Advent! Sounds like a wonderful new Christmas tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every Christmas décor should include a sloth.
    I am somewhat of a minimalist/naturalist with Christmas décor. I have two trees, one in the living room, (real) with bird ornaments, one in the family room (fake) with ornaments the we have been given/the kids have made. Beyond that it's Advent calendars, our Advent wreath with homemade beeswax candles, and a Thomas Kinkade light up village bought at a yard sale. Some years I don't bother with that. If it were just me, I'd have a small tree, and pine boughs brought in from outside and call it good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to decorate everything, but this year, the only thing is a 3' tree. The cookie jar is so pretty, and you have put it to good use. The lights in the kitchen window are a good idea. Love it!

    ReplyDelete