Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Akron Zoo (lots of photos)

 Happy Tuesday! 

Continuing with our quick 24 hour getaway... 



After we left the hotel on July 4, we headed to the Akron Zoo. While I was reading reviews online, I kept seeing reviews that this zoo was too small, not worth it, etc. Well, I wanted something smaller as I can't walk a huge zoo and I wanted to enjoy seeing animals but in a way that was more accessible. Well, the Akron Zoo did not disappoint! Most of the animals were super close to the viewing areas, there was no crowds, and the staff was friendly and nice. The only drawback was it was super hot on Sunday and the heat was intense. We saw so many cool animals! 

The zoo has 4 main areas of animals. We went through 2 of the areas first and then stopped for lunch. Ben and Rebecca even rode a carousel while we were there. 





















  

I was even impressed with their food court that we ate at for lunch. Bill and Rebecca had a burger, Jacob had pizza and Ben had chicken tenders. I was trying to be good, but also didn't want any greasy food. I was craving veggies and they actually had 3 different salads on their menu. I ordered the garden salad and unsweetened iced tea and it was so good!




After lunch, we finished going through the zoo. 















By the end, Jacob and Bill were dealing with a little bit of heat issues. We were happy to get into the van for the drive home in the air conditioner! About half an hour from home, Bill went through McDonald's drive thru and got the kids a hot fudge sundae so they were happy. 

Our dinner for the 4th of July was not typical. We got Wendy's for dinner as I was too worn out to cook. We had walked 2.65 miles in the heat at the zoo and the zoo had a lot of hills that I didn't realize were there until we were done and I was looking the elevations of my walk. We were all in bed by 10:30, skipping our town's fireworks display as we were all exhausted. 

Yesterday, it was back to work and back to reality. I went to cardio rehab and was exhausted the rest of the day. I didn't really get anything done except sitting in the a/c as it was super hot outside. Today, I need to go the the grocery store and clean up some. Not sure what other fun stuff I will get into. 

What about you? Anything fun on tap for today? What is your favorite zoo animal to see?  

 

1 comment:

  1. That seemed like a zoo that was large enough to me! It looks and sounds like a fun day. That long in the heat would have done me in.

    ReplyDelete