Saturday, July 3, 2021

Walks, Eye Patch, and Losing Weight

Happy Saturday, Happy July and Happy almost 4th of July everyone! Can you believe that it is already July? Crazy how fast time seems to be going.

This week we have been had lots of hot weather, scattered thunderstorms, lots of humidity and just some craziness. Thankfully I was able to get the kids out for walks on Thursday and Friday as the heat index was finally under 100 degrees. 

Thursday after Lacie and Ethan got picked up and we took the kids to the Kokosing Gap Trail to walk. I had a goal in mind to do 2 miles (since it wasn't overly hot and the humidity was at a decent level) and I am proud to say that I did do 2 miles! It is definitely an improvement from where I was 2 months ago. I was exhausted when I was done, but I did it! The trail was so green and was a balm for my soul.




 

Yesterday, we woke up to sunny skies, NO humidity and temperatures expected to be in the low 70s! Perfect weather. So I took the kids (minus Lacie who was working) out to Ariel to walk and throw rocks in the lakes. We walked 1.5 miles (and this was after I had cardio rehab just a few hours before!). We saw lots of geese (or swanky swans as Rebecca referred to them) and even saw a small snake! 









In other happenings this week... Jacob had an eye doc appointment on Thursday and his new eye doctor wants us to try to patch his eye for 2 hours a day 5 days a week for the next 6 weeks to help strengthen his bad eye. He thinks this is the last chance we have to help that eye before Jacob gets too old. The doctor also suggested that he do things that have lots of hand-eye coordination while he has his patch on. So Jacob was a little more agreeable to being patched since he could play video games! LOL 



Today, we are just hanging out this morning. I made the boys clean their room. I should be doing some things to get ready for a busy evening and day tomorrow but I've got some time! 

I am feeling pretty good today. Not too tired. Also, I stepped on the scale this morning....one of my goals for 2021 was to lose weight. Well, I stepped on the scale this morning and I have lost 22 pounds so far this year! I am sure that my cardio rehab is helping, but so has no longer drinking pop. I typically only drink now. Also I have been eating more fruit and veggies and whole grains. I am not where I want to be, but I am definitely on the way!! I think all my medical issues were the kick in the but that I need to make some lasting changes. (The last one being that at my doctor's appointment last week, my PCP wants to put me on metformin as my A1C continues to be elevated in bloodwork. She added a different cholesterol medicine, which is NOT a statin as well. I asked her to give me 3 months to try to lose weight before I think about going on metformin ( as I am now taking 6 pills in the morning and 2 at night for my heart, blood pressure and cholesterol.) She agreed thankfully so there is also that.  

Well, speaking of food and dieting, I need to go get the kids some lunch and then I need to tackle my to do list so that I can have some fun tonight and tomorrow for the 4th of July holiday. 

Anyone have any fun plans this weekend? 

Whatever your plans are I hope that you all have a safe, healthy and happy 4th of July!   

8 comments:

  1. Has anyone told you about the propensity for diarrhea when taking metformin? It happens whenever. I ran down my leg and into shoes before I could get to a commode. It happened in car and when in stores. There is no stopping it. I took it for over a year before I realized it was causing the diarrhea. I had to take pants and panties to the yard to hose them off. Nasty med!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't want to go on it if I don't have to.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on the weight loss and being able to walk two miles after all your recent issues.
    Also what a great way to keep the eyepatch from being a huge issues. Video games for the win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. And hearing the eye doc say that video games were perfect for this eye patch wearing timing was all Jacob had to hear to be okay with wearing it.

      Delete
  3. Great news about the weight loss! Jacob is a cutie. I have some clients on Metformin- they seem to do fine and supposedly it does help with weight loss. I'm with you on taking another medication though! My family history has hypertension but no diabetes although I had gestational with my third child. She's 33 now and in all those years, I haven't had any high glucose readings. Happy fourth- I'm staying home and will be in bed before 9 PM LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nan. I never had gestational diabetes with any of my kids. My grandmothers had diabetes and my nephew has diabetes but other than that there has been no other cases that I know of in my family. I just really don't want to take another medicine right now. I was in bed around 10 last night. LOL

      Delete
  4. Congrats on your weight loss, glad you are getting healthy again! Believe it or not we don't take any medication here though I better get with it and join you on the weight loss thing if I want to keep it that way (said as noticing my shorts are a bit too tight this morning). Video games are great incentive. Hope the patch works for him. Can't wait to hear about your 4th of July. Hope you have an amazing rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean. I am trying but it is hard. Seems like if I am really busy that it takes a few days to recover. I am hoping to blog about my weekend here in a few minutes actually. :)

      Delete