Saturday, May 9, 2020

Life lately...

Happy Saturday! 

COVID-19 Update: Last time I wrote an update (5/2) Ohio was  at 17,962 cases, 922 deaths and 16 cases overall in my county. As of today, Ohio is at 21,969 cases, 1,185 deaths, and 20 confirmed cases in my county. Ohio has begun opening up some things (i.e. some retail stores are allowed to open up on 5/12, restaurants are allowed to open back up for in-person dining on 5/21, salons are allowed to open up again soon as well.) Slowly things are opening. So now we wait to see what happens. 🤷

Personally, I don't see much changing in what we are doing. I have expanded our circle to include my parents and those living with my parents. Other than that we will continue with what we are doing. I was supposed to start babysitting "A" again but her parents' layoff has been extended for another week so that has been pushed back a week. (The company they work for contracts for Honda, so they are waiting for Honda to get back to work).  

Here at our home, we enjoyed going to my sister's girlfriend's graduation party last Saturday. The kids had a blast and we ended the evening with making s'mores around the fire and hanging out. Was a needed time with family. 





This week was another week of school work for the kids. Thankfully, next week is their last week of new school work! YAY! This week Jacob had to do an "egg drop" STEM challenge. He had to design a container that would cradle a raw egg and not have it break when dropped from 10 feet. He created a box out of a tissue box, bubble wrap and cotton balls. His design worked and the egg survived! 🥚 LOL

Yesterday, we ran a few errands in the morning. We stopped off at North Main Cafe where I had won a Facebook giveaway for a prize for my mom. So I picked that up and surprised the kids with smoothies. Then we went to a local farm stand and picked out a hanging basket for my mom. Then we had to run by the middle school so Rebecca could turn in library books that she had (they had a box at the entrance of the school to put them in). 

Yesterday, the boys' school had virtual field day. They were not assigned any school work for the day. Instead, they were asked to do some field day type activities that were provided. The boys had lots of fun doing activities like bank-it basketball, spoon relay, "bowl"ing, flip-a-lid, etc. 






Fridays are also becoming a favorite day as it is our YellowBird Foodshed delivery. This week we got lots of yumminess in our box!




Friday nights have also become a date night (or a Rachel has completed another week of virtual learning teaching so needs a treat!) This week, Bill and I ordered in Chinese food from our recently re-opened China buffet! 😋 It was SO GOOD!



Today, I have gone to the grocery store....I was hearing stories of lack of meat (especially chicken and pork) in our stores and there was definitely a lot less than normal (empty meat shelves). We are okay on meat, except for chicken breast. We have one bag of chicken tenderloins in the freezer and we typically go through one bag a week. I can't eat dark meat chicken as it upsets my stomach. Thankfully, I found 2 bags of Tyson frozen chicken breasts in the freezer section so picked that up. They only had one other bag of the Tyson and one bag of Kroger brand. I also picked up butter as that also seems to be a hot commodity. We have several birthdays coming up and since Rebecca has found a yummy homemade buttercream recipe I am planning ahead. It was a stressful trip. I wear a mask but about halfway through the last 2 weeks I have felt like I am suffocating and stressed out. Oh well, it needs to be done. 🤷 I also ran over to Dollar Tree as I needed shower curtain hooks (as the boys have broken several of ours the last few weeks as they have started taking showers and not baths) and the mood in there was worse. Depressing.

My mood was lifted a little when I came home to get the mail and we got a rebate check from Geico. I had just paid our 6 month auto premium in April and they announced they were giving 15% discounts due to the Coronavirus and it was supposed to be taken off your bill. Well ours wasn't and I was told it would probably be reflected in October's bill. Well, instead they sent me a rebate check. That works for me. 😊

Oh and I can also mention that there was snow on the back of my van this morning! We had a freeze warning last night and it was COLD this morning. The sun is out now but it is still cold. I have apples in the crockpot to make homemade applesauce to go with dinner. Not sure what we are going to have tonight as I don't really have the energy to cook. Might just do chicken nuggets and fries. LOL I will figure it out.  

What are you doing on this fine Saturday? Is the weather where you are crazy? Are you seeing meat shortages in your area?  

7 comments:

  1. Youre doing really well coordinating school with some creative activities. I'll be watching Ohio and hope next week goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping things go well. I know in my community there are people that are just ready to move on. I hope that there is not a huge surge.

      Delete
  2. This Saturday, I looked for a Meyer Lemon tree. No luck, so it was depressing as Tommy refused to take me anywhere else. I like seeing and hearing what your children are doing. That is great you won something for your mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words about the kids. I see this blog as a diary of sorts. I know Rebecca recently told me that she has started reading my older posts and it is fun to see how the family has changed, etc. My mom appreciated her gift that I won.

      Delete
  3. Really cool that they had a virtual field day for the kids! Fun idea. Our area opens up this week but like you I don't expect much to change. Still can't fathom how the restaurants are going to work, allowed 10 % capacity but won't that lead to huge crowds waiting outside? Who knows. Glad you are able to get together with some family now, I think being around other people probably helps (looking forward to that here!). Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I hope you had a super happy Mother's Day yesterday!

      Delete
    2. Technically I don't think we are supposed to get together in groups yet, but if they are going to open restaurants and retail stores then I don't see how me getting together with my immediate family is going to hurt. So technically I am not obeying the stay at home order but I needed to do it for my sanity. LOL I think restaurants are going to have to come up with a new business model (maybe going to all reservations?) for dine in. I am not sure how it is going to work. We don't plan on going out to eat in a restaurant for a while, we will continue to do take out I think. Hope you had a good Mother's Day as well!

      Delete