Saturday, May 2, 2020

HIghlights from this week....

COVID-19 Update: Last time I wrote an update (4/22) Ohio was at 13,609 confirmed cases with 584 deaths. In our county, they had just announced the 13th confirmed case. Today May 2, Ohio is at 17,962 cases, 922 deaths and 16 cases overall in my county. Our stay-at-home order has been extended until the end of May and basically more restrictions have been put in place, although some things are being allowed to open back up like retailers of non-essential things, etc. Offices can reopen but childcare has to remain closed. Dentists and Vets can reopen. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense. 😢 I have been doing some research and fact checking this week and it is annoying as 75% of our new cases seem to be from nursing homes and prisons, not the general public as it was before. I am at the point of saying opening the state up and let people make their own decisions about what they want to do. They didn't sign this new order or announce it until late at night like they were trying to hide something. Then over the past week our governor can't make up his mind about who needs to wear masks and when, what business can open or when, is it a "stay at home" order or is it a "stay safe Ohio" order? It is almost like they expect everyone to rush to Walmart and start licking people when they open the state completely. 

Ok my rant is over. What have we been up to this week? 

Honestly schooling was rough this week as I have been getting more attitude and whininess as the kids don't want to do their work online and they are frustrated and just don't want to do school anymore. Even Rebecca was behind on her work and had a lot to do yesterday (the middle school uses Friday as a make up work day or finish what you didn't get done during the week day). 

Other things we have been up to: 

Ben has fun waking his dad up each day! Nothing like having a 90 pound kid jumping on you and sitting on you to wake you up! LOL 


One afternoon we were just chilling at home and there was a knock on the front door. It was the principal of the boys' elementary school. She had all the teachers nominate 3 kids in their classes who had been going above and beyond during this distance learning time. Well, Jacob's teacher nominated him and the principal was bringing by a certificate for the kids. She got here around 4:30-5 and said she had been driving around all day! LOL The boys loved seeing her and I thought it was a nice gesture and it meant a lot to Jacob as he had been having a bad school day that day with lots of frustrations. 


One of the nice things about this stay at home is that we have been having dinner together each night and I have been making things that I haven't made in a long time. I made french toast one night for dinner and it went over really well and was really good! 


The boys' art teacher held a Facebook Live art class this week making "May Flowers." The boys loved seeing their art teacher and following along. 



I got "wined." A friend of mine added me to a new facebook group for our county that is basically a group for women in our county to do random acts of kindness or "wining" of other women. You put your likes on there and other women can choose to wine you. Well, the day after I was added a friend of mine texted me to see if I was home and then said I will be there in less than 2 minutes! She dropped off this basket and it made my day. It was so sweet of her and unexpected! 



On Friday, I woke up in a bad mood. I really didn't want to do schooling with the kids. The weather was dreary and wet. Kids didn't want to get up and do work. It was just a blah feeling. Well, when I got the mail I had a surprise package from a blogging friend. Really made my day and the kids' day as well! We can't wait to play the "Phase 10" game! 

Also on Friday, I got our first YellowBird delivery. I had given Misfit Markets a try again when this whole Covid-19 thing started as a way to get fresh produce to our door. Well the last 2 deliveries have been very disappointing and most of the items I ended up giving away as we would not eat them. A friend recommended YellowBird as they are are a local farm coop and they source from Ohio sources. I feel called to support local more now than ever and they were similar in price to Misfit. So I figured I would give them a try. Our first delivery was yesterday and I am happy to say that we will eat everything included! I do need to figure out how to cook the quinoa as I have never made it before (if anyone has any recipes please feel free to share!)



Last night, Bill and I had date night. He got us takeout from our local Mexican place that opened a few weeks ago (for takeout as eating in is still a no-go due to restrictions) but we wanted to wait until the newness of it died down. It was so yummy! 


Today we are going to go out to my parents house for a small graduation get together for my sister's girlfriend. It is going to be a cookout so we are going to be outside. She asked me to make a cake and I had Rebecca make it as she is working on her cake decorating badge for AHG. Rebecca made the cake and homemade buttercream icing. I think it turned out really good.


And finally, I had to take this picture this morning. Gronk the cat is so funny sometimes. Rebecca was eating breakfast this morning and he jumped up behind her and basically demanded pets. He was purring so loudly! Silly cat. 

Well, I think this is way long and if you have gotten this far thanks for reading. I should go do some laundry, and I just heard the mail being delivered so should get that. 

What have you been up to? Any fun, exciting things going on? Any fun plans for this weekend? Whatever your plans, I hope you have a great weekend!  

11 comments:

  1. Wow, lots going on over there! The whole states opening up thing is just one long confusion isn't it? Our state official opens on Monday but our KC is delaying until the 10th or 11th except certain counties surrounding it are going with the 4th date. Makes no sense. Congrats to Jacob! What a cool thing. And Rebecca did a great job on the cake. Love all the artwork as well. Hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean. Yes there is A LOT of confusion on what the new rules are and who gets to open when, etc. Guess we shall see how it all turns out.

      Delete
  2. It is confusing as there are so many people yelling at government officials with competing views, and they are trying to listen to health experts, who also get yelled at when folks don't like what they are saying. I think the states that have really loosened restrictions like Georgia, and the health impact, will be a test to see how the rest of the country will respond. Rebecca's cake is very nice. It is a very special contribution to the celebration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is confusing and I think a lot of anger is coming out of the unknown. I guess we shall see what happens.

      Delete
  3. Yay for Jacob! That's awesome! Your breakfast for supper looks sooooo good! I love french toast and fresh fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very upset that our state has loosened restrictions, though it is not totally open. Our infection rates are still climbing and it makes no sense to me to lift the stay in place requirements until they are declining. So I am opting to stay in place.
    Congrats to Jacob and the art work was great Ban and Jacob. Rebecca's cake was wonderful looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne. I am still being cautious and not expanding my circle any more than I have.

      Delete


  5. In PA you must wear a mask if going into a store. Restaurants are pick up or drive thru only. They sectioned the state in different areas and we are still red. My area only has 6 deaths but we are near enough to Pittsburgh that I guess we need to wait till they are open. Yesterday was my first day out in 2 months. Had an oncology appt. and went to a new to me butcher shop. I'm not ready to be in crowds and have only seen my kids at a distance. I think this is our new norm for at least another year.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that I think this is our new norm.

      Delete
  6. Get A Blank ATM CARD And Cash Good Money/Funds Pay Your Debt directly today in any ATM machine around you anywhere in the world. contact cryptoatmhacker@gmail.com.. It's 100% guaranteed secure with no worries of being caught because the blank card it's already programmed and loaded with good funds in it, in such a way that's not traceable which also have a technique that makes it impossible for the CCTV to detect you, i am not a stupid man that i will come out to the public and start saying what someone have not done. For more info contact Mr john and also on how you are going to get your Card, Order yours today via Email: cryptoatmhacker@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete