Sunday, May 17, 2020

It's the little things

In these times of uncertainty it really is the little things that we should be looking to for joy. I am really trying hard to focus on the little things and not be too consumed by the big things. I am trying. It is hard to still not be discouraged by things in the news, etc. but I feel like it is worth it to try to enjoy the little joys. 

Take yesterday for example. I was kind of discouraged that I didn't get a whole lot done on my to-do list. But then a couple of things happened that changed my perspective into looking for joys instead of focusing on the negative. First, we had a knock on the door. It was Rebecca's best friend "Z" and her Mom. They came by to "wine" me and "juice" Rebecca. (There is a local Facebook group for moms in our area, where woman "wine" each other to try to bring some cheer to this time.) Rebecca was beyond thrilled to see "Z." Both of the girls gave each other social distance hugs until Rebecca asked us if they could give each other a hug for real. Z's mom said yes and I did too. Rebecca got some capri suns in her bag, along with Minecraft stickers and art pens. I got some root beer and fun bath products. It was such a fun surprise.

  

Then I decided to take advantage of the great weather and go out with Bill and the kids and just enjoy the day. The to-do list could wait. The only thing I did do was get my new phone set up. As after I posted yesterday my old phone decided to stop working completely--- I kept getting a message that "Unfortunately clock has stopped working" and nothing would work. Even shutting it completely off and turning it on didn't help. Thankfully, the new phone was easy to set up online with Total Wireless since I am already a customer and was keeping my phone number. 

After setting up my phone, Bill, the kids and I ended up going on a nice long walk at Ariel-Foundation Park. We saw LOTS of 🐢🐢🐢 and some HUGE tadpoles. (I was also impressed with the photo quality of the photos I took with my new phone!) 









All those blobs are not fish-- they are tadpoles!




When we came home, I fixed an easy dinner for the kids-- macaroni-and-cheese, green beans and applesauce. Bill ordered pizza and subs for him and I from our favorite local pizza place that re-opened for takeout last week as our date night. We ate out on our front porch, while the kids stayed inside watching the "Lego Batman" movie. Was a nice night. 



Today, I got up early to go to the grocery store. I seem to be spending a lot more at the store this month but it is what it is when. When I got home Ben came into the kitchen to see what I bought and he saw these pop-tart bites and with a huge smile on his face told me that me buying them "made his dreams come true." LOL He gets it-- it is the little things 🙂 




Well, today I have to get some things done. I think I am going to try to get Bill to mow the lawn as we are supposed to get storms and heavy rain tonight, tomorrow and showers the rest of the week. Currently it is close to 80 degrees and partly cloudy. I have laundry to put away and I need to do some cleaning of the downstairs. I might get the family out for another nature walk as well.  

What are you doing on this Sunday? What little things have been bringing you joy?   

6 comments:

  1. A strongly recommend a rotating list. Break big jobs into little ones on the list. Not Painting the house but painting the closet, painting over the sink (things on my list). It works, sometimes I look at it and can cross off even more, some days less but it's still there tomorrow and not the end of the world if it doesn't get done. Glad you got a nice friend and date break. It definitely is the little things that make life better right now. I don't take baths but hubby does and I ordered bubble bath on the last 2 grocery orders, didn't get any the first time but did the 2nd. Hubby was so happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The place you go has certainly got a lot of tadpoles and turtles! How do you get your kids to eat applesauce and green beans and macncheese when you have pizza? Mine would want pizza even if they had their dinner. Great pictures from your camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our kids know that this is Mommy/Daddy date night. We don't let them have an option. They love mac-n-cheese and homemade applesauce so they don't really seem to care. We get them treats from time to time so they can respect that mom and dad need some time for treats too. They also have pizza (or some form of pizza) EVERY Friday night for dinner so they get their pizza fix. LOL

      Delete
  3. What beautiful photos!
    Yay for that new phone!
    And I love your date night.
    Perfect.
    Have a cozy day, my friend.
    And it is good to let the to do list go sometimes. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that it is good. I have pretty much let it go all week though, so that may be a problem ;)

      Delete