Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Tornado Warnings and Other Goings On

Happy Wednesday! Hope you have had a good start to your week. We've been doing okay. Labor Day the kids and I went on a walk on the trail in Howard except we went in a different direction than we usually do. We only went 2 miles as the back of my leg was bothering me. We did end up coming across this lovely scene though which was gorgeous! 


One of the reasons the kids like the path in Howard is because it has a playground attached to it. At the end of our walk the boy had fun playing "Ultimate Tag" on the playground. (They have been watching episodes of "Ultimate Tag" on Hulu.)


The weather was partly sunny and humid while we were walking. It wasn't too bad out. After lunch I let the kids make homemade ice cream in a bag. They really enjoyed that. 






Later I made hot dogs for dinner and then all he** broke loose. When I looked outside it was getting really cloudy. About 10 minutes later I looked out and it was much worse! The clouds were running into each other and getting black and greenish. Our tornado sirens started going off. 




So I ushered the kids into the basement to wait. Thankfully we never lost power and I was able to bring my Kindle down so that the kids could watch a show on Disney+.


 
We really didn't get any wind at our house but we got a ton of rain and lots of thunder and lightning. The south side of our town had a lot of trees down and wires down, etc. My friend who lives north of us said that her and her daughters were driving home in the mess and that they saw 3 different funnel clouds. It was not a good situation. We had storms throughout most of Monday night. They woke me up several times with the thunder and lightning. 

Tuesday the kids had an in-school day. Bill took Rebecca to school and said that that side of town was a mess with several roads closed due to downed trees and lines. Bill and I ended up going on a 4 mile walk on the bike path where we saw that the river was really high and fast flowing. We saw evidence of several trees that had been removed from across the path. We also saw a freaky caterpillar that I found out was a saddleback caterpillar-- one of the more poisonous ones.


 
Dinner last night was a yummy taco crescent ring. I haven't made it in a while. 


Today the kids had virtual school. Bill was home so I left him in charge of the boys and I went out on a 6+ mile solo bike ride. It was a much needed ride both physically and mentally.


 I was supposed to tutor this afternoon, but the mom (who works for the post office) has to stay late and do deliveries. Not sure what else I will get into this afternoon. Maybe read a book in between loads of laundry? Who knows...

What are you guys up to today? What's the weather like where you are? 

 

2 comments:

  1. Weather can be so scary. I'm glad you are all safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you did not get destructive weather at your house and did not lose electricity. That is one ugly caterpillar!

    ReplyDelete