Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Took a few hours for me today!

Happy Tuesday and Happy September everyone! I hope this new month brings with it good things as I know that we can all use some good things. 

Today was an in-school day for the kids so I got them off to school. Bill had to work all day today. So I found myself with several free hours with no one to look after except myself. Last night Rebecca told me that I should take time for me. And that is just what I did. 

After taking the kids to school I came home and loaded my bicycle into the van. It has been a while since I was on the bike, but I decided that I wanted to go to the bike path to ride. 


And ride I did.


 

I ended up riding 9.3 miles starting at the trail head in Mount Vernon and riding to the trail head in Gambier at the Kenyon College campus and back. It took me a little over an hour to ride it. Honestly I LOVED it! It felt so freeing and took me back to my childhood when I rode my bike everywhere!



I stopped at Kenyon and took in one of their art sculptures near the trail head that always looked interesting to me but I never went over to look at when we were walking as I didn't think Bill or the kids would be interested in it. It is titled "Understorms" and is by Barry Gunderson. 

When I got back to Mount Vernon, an older gentleman came riding up and said didn't I see you in Gambier? I said yep. He laughed asking how I got back so quick as he didn't see me pass him. 

After loading the bike up, I headed to Kroger to get some milk and bread and then headed home to shower. I decided that I was going to treat myself to lunch at the park. I was going to stop at a local cafe to get takeout but they were packed with people waiting in line outside. So I decided instead to grab some Wendy's and head to the park. I also brought along a book and decided I would eat lunch by the lake and read until it was time to pick Rebecca up from school. It was so nice out with a nice breeze. It was a little humid but it was cloudy so it didn't feel hot. 






I think this was a much needed day. I am going to try to do more self-care and take time for me in September. This was a good start! 

Now I need to get back into mom mode and start dinner--- we are going to have chicken fajitas! YUMM!!! 

How's your Tuesday going? Do you try to do self-care?  

5 comments:

  1. I try to spend time alone every day. A long time ago I let the family know that I didn't do well without a lot of personal space. I used to also run...it was great, because nobody would want to join me then. (No running now due to injury.) I believe firmly that simply because we are parents doesn't mean we have to sacrifice our personhood and autonomy. We should all be comfortable taking time for ourselves, no apologies or explanations needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Riding a bike and reading a book are excellent ways to be alone! That would work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fantastic way to spend the day. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well deserved and a nice plan to your day. Bless Rebecca for her kind thoughts for her mom!

    ReplyDelete