Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Rebecca made her singing debut and cool chalk art

 Happy Tuesday everyone! Hope everyone is having a good day! Yesterday, I posted about our adventures at the National Museum of the United States Air Force from Thursday. That was just the beginning of our fun activities of the weekend. Up next in our plans was attending the Mount Vernon Music and Arts Festival for a very special reason!


  

Rebecca made her solo singing debut singing an original song that she wrote! 

Rebecca was invited to take part in the Youth Showcase, which showcases local youth and their talents. There were 12 youth involved, most of whom sang cover songs of more famous songs. Rebecca decided to play her ukulele and sing her original song titled " Sage, Roses, and Ice." (If you click on this link you should be able to see the video! Sorry I don't know how to put the video live on here.)



 She did amazing! I am so very proud of her. She actually performed once on Friday and once on Saturday. On Friday, my brother and his fiancee came to show her some support. 



Saturday, my dad came with my niece and nephew. Her best friend, their mom, and another friend also came to watch on Saturday. 


On Friday, after she performed we walked around the festival. Got some fair food for lunch. 


The kids were able to do some kid activities like painting rocks, etc. 





It was so hot and humid out, so I treated the kids to snow cones which was a fun treat. 





On Friday we spent several hours outside and honestly it was too much time outside. After we got the snow cones, we headed to go back to the van. Well, as we were walking across the town square, I started seeing double of things and feeling like I was going to faint. So I had the kids head to a candy store on the square that I knew was open and had air conditioning. After cooling down for a few minutes, I felt like I could walk to the van. I came home and immediately set in front of the fan and had a tall glass of ice water. It took almost an hour of being in the AC and in front of the fan for me to feel well enough to take a cool shower. Honestly I didn't feel back to normal until around 9pm that night. It is another example of how my heart issues are still affecting me. 

Thankfully, Friday night we got a couple of storms go through which cooled things down and took the humidity away thankfully. Saturday, we watched Rebecca perform again and then we walked through the art activity of "Chalk the Block" which featured chalk artists out of Columbus who were creating AMAZING chalk drawings on the street! They were absolutely amazing! 





After we walked through the art, I got the kids more snow cones and we enjoyed those before we headed back home as we had a cookout to go to later. 



In the afternoon, we headed out to my parents' house as my dad wanted to have a final cookout of Summer before my brother headed back to college. I only took one photo that night but we had a great time chatting and hanging out. 



Overall, it was a great Friday and Saturday and again I am so proud of Rebecca for stepping out of her comfort zone and performing! 

Sunday, we went to church and then came home to spend the day cleaning house since this is back to school week and I wanted to get a nice clean start to the week! Yesterday, I finished up laundry and babysat. Today, I need to take Rebecca to the high school to pick up her schedule. Later, we have open houses for the boys at the middle school and at the elementary school. I also need to pick up some prescriptions and go to the grocery store. It is never ending business of life! :)  

Have you ever performed in public? Have you ever done chalk art? 

6 comments:

  1. Awesome job to Rebecca! I'm most definitely not a public performer, and I so admire people who get out of their comfort zone. Well done.

    It sounds like the heat can really be a challenge, so make sure you're getting plenty of rest & staying hydrated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wonderful, Rebecca. I hope you keep getting stronger but the heat can be tough. Have a good back to school start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my forties with no health problems, I became sick from the heat at the Helen Keller Festival! So, it was too hot for you. Be careful. Hopefully, you can get someone to help you put up the video of Rebecca singing. Imagine her cute new haircut gave her more confidence. I played once in a piano recital and it was awful. But, singing? NO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you click on the words above that say "this link" it should take you to the video. I just don't know how to get it embedded in the post.

      Delete