Saturday, August 28, 2021

Overwhelmed with life right now

 Happy Saturday! It's been a little over a week since I wrote and let's just say that life has been overwhelming. So many changes and such. I will admit that I have not been in the right frame of mind much of this week, as I have just been overwhelmed with life. 

The kids seem to adjusting ok to school. This past week was their first full week of school. Jacob seemed like he was overwhelmed the first week but toward the end of the week he seemed to be more confident. Rebecca has seemed to transition well into high school so far. She is adjusting to having a lot more homework each night after not really having any the last 2 years. Benjamin has been battling allergies this week along with just being over tired due to the school schedules. However, he is loving his teacher and class and seems to be doing ok so far in 4th grade.

Not only was it their first full week back but after school activities are beginning. Rebecca has decided to join the "Vedette" afterschool club. This club puts together an art and writing magazine each year that features student submitted works. They had their first meeting on Thursday and so she decided to stay for that. There are also other after school clubs and things are starting to be added to our calendar. I guess I have to get used to being extremely busy in the evenings again. 

Other changes have happened as well. I have been struggling with what I would do with my time when the kids are back in school. My babysitting kiddo "A" started Kindergarten so I am no longer watching her. I thought about becoming an educational aide, however in the reality of the situation the hours really don't work with our schedule unless I want to hire someone to either take Benjamin to school or pick up Jacob and Rebecca from school and also I really deep down am unsure if I could handle the job physically as it is on your feet all day long. Then I was offered a part time job cleaning 2 locally owned gyms here in a town with a friend of mine. Flexible hours, etc. Sounded good, however I told her I would come in on Monday to see how it would go for me physically. Well, every time I would bend down to clean a machine and then stand up, I would get dizzy. Not good. Also there really wasn't set hours. She would go in for 1.5 hours in the morning, then go to her 2nd job, then come back for a few more hours later in the day depending on her schedule. It was too much of a hassle and with the dizziness I told her that I could not take the job. I think it really made her mad, as I haven't heard from her since. Then on Tuesday out of the blue, I get an email about a substitute cook position with our city schools that I had applied for over the summer. They sent me the paperwork for hire and I went in on Thursday and turned in my paperwork and got my fingerprints done so that I could start being put on the schedule. I think this will be good as it will get my name in the school system job market. It is a sub job so if I am having a bad day physically, or I have a doctor's appointment, I can always say no. It is during the school year, so I will be available to be mom. 



Speaking of jobs... Bill had an out of the blue phone call last week from a friend of his from his days of working at the newspaper. This friend was calling to say that he had just put in his 2 weeks notice and he was recommending Bill to take over the part-time sports position. Fast forward to last night and Bill went to cover his first football game as a part time sports writer. He was quite excited to get back to writing even if for now it is part time. 

AND as if all that wasn't enough...I have been dealing with tooth pain for a week and a half. I was finally able to get into the dentist on Wednesday, where they found a tooth that needs a root canal and an infection under that tooth and possibly the tooth next to it. I am now on penicillin for the infection and am scheduled to have the root canal at the end of September  (the earliest they could get it scheduled). The pain was gone Thursday and Friday, but I woke up this morning in pain again. :( 

Add in the news from Afghanistan, the arguing over masks/no masks in our community and among my friends, the rising COVID cases in our community, a scare we had that our A/C was broken as it decided to freeze up and not work one evening when everyday it has been real feel temperatures of 98-101 and so humid... and life has been about as much as I can take. 

This week wasn't all bad though. On Saturday the kids attended a vocal camp and had a blast doing that. Jacob has decided that he wants to join our local youth choir as a result. 




While they were there, I met my mom for breakfast at a local diner and we went to the farmer's market on the square together. Bill and I had a nice lunch date out on Tuesday at our local Mexican restaurant that recently reopened after being closed due to the COVID shutdown and then remodeling. It was a delicious lunch and nice to spend one-on-one time with Bill.  

Today, I told the kids we were not going anywhere. We were staying at home and just puttering around here. I have been doing laundry and did a little bit of straightening up. I am hoping that tomorrow I can just have a day of rest to get ready for next week.

How is everyone else doing? Anyone else overwhelmed with life right now? How do you handle being overwhelmed?  

 

2 comments:

  1. My condition has been with me for over 40 years, so I understand how you feel to a certain extent. If I could get enough sleep, I could handle anything. Three children and there schedules are enough to make a mother exhausted. I went to Cullman with an hour of sleep. So, a nap has sort of gotten me on track. How do I handle being overwhelmed? Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday will be at-home days so I can get my energy back and get rid of some pain.

    I love how your kids are joining and developing new interests.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a lot going on over there and lots of changes, new schedules to adjust to again. Your new job does sound perfect though. One of the things I absolutely love about my sub job is the flexibility. I've been offered full-time a few times but I always say (and very much know) it's a lot easier to be the sub than to find a sub. Hopefully, your tooth pain will feel better once you get to the dentist. When I'm overwhelmed, I try to take a few minutes outside even if it's just stepping out the front or back door just to breathe. Hope this week is a great one for you!

    ReplyDelete