Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Unplanned day off, to do list and a book review

Happy Tuesday everyone! Well, I was right. Ben is sick. He still had a fever this morning of 100 and he developed some diarrhea overnight. :( So, he is home from school today. He is mad because he is missing gym class today. He is currently laying on the couch and watching Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back. 

Since he is sick, I had to call off of work. I hate calling off, but it makes much more sense for me to call off than Bill, since I will miss 3 hours versus his 8+ hours. It is what it is. 

So, since I am home, I need to get some things done. I have a to do list so I can keep track. So, what do I need to do today: 

  • clean out microwave
  • straighten up pantry
  • clean downstairs bathroom
  • clean upstairs bathroom
  • Laundry (including Ben's blankets off bed)
  • Sweep steps 
  • Cut Benjamin's fingernails and toenails.
  • Blog
  • Freeze overripe bananas. 
I also wanted to do a quick book review today. I finally finished reading What the Wind Knows by Amy Harmon. I read this for the online book club that I belong to on Facebook. If you are interested, you can search for Kindred Readers Book Club.




From the Back Cover:

In an unforgettable love story, a woman’s impossible journey through the ages could change everything…

Anne Gallagher grew up enchanted by her grandfather’s stories of Ireland. Heartbroken at his death, she travels to his childhood home to spread his ashes. There, overcome with memories of the man she adored and consumed by a history she never knew, she is pulled into another time.

The Ireland of 1921, teetering on the edge of war, is a dangerous place in which to awaken. But there Anne finds herself, hurt, disoriented, and under the care of Dr. Thomas Smith, guardian to a young boy who is oddly familiar. Mistaken for the boy’s long-missing mother, Anne adopts her identity, convinced the woman’s disappearance is connected to her own.

As tensions rise, Thomas joins the struggle for Ireland’s independence and Anne is drawn into the conflict beside him. Caught between history and her heart, she must decide whether she’s willing to let go of the life she knew for a love she never thought she’d find. But in the end, is the choice actually hers to make? 

My thoughts: 

I had really high hopes for this story as after reading the back it sounded really intriguing. However, it fell flat for me. The basic storyline between Anne and Thomas was wonderful and interesting. However, that was overshadowed by the historical political undertones throughout the entire novel.  Harmon describes the political events and theories in more details than are needed and it seriously takes away from the story of Anne and Thomas. I am not a fan of history especially when it is not written in an interesting manner. Overall, the book fell flat to me and therefore I can only give it 2 stars.

My rating: ★★ 

So, there you have it. I need to go flip more laundry and continue on my to do list. What are you up to on this Tuesday? Do you like historical, time-travel books? 

5 comments:

  1. Hope Ben is feeling better! That book sounds somewhat similar to the plot of the Outlander series that I started watching and am up to season 3 (set in a different area but still one of those, she goes back through time and falls in love stories plus the politics/history stuff). I'm with you, the history needs to be interesting to hold my attention but I do enjoy well-written historical fiction. Still avoiding cleaning over here, Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like time travel stories, but I love history, and good historical fiction. I also love to read biographies, particularly of the Tudors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cycle of figuring out how to balance sick kids and jobs is a challenge. I hope Ben feels better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with Meg. I find reading about the Tudors fascinating.
    I have read a couple of time travel books and they are ok as long as the history of the time is compelling. I might try to snag this from the library. If I don't like it by chapter 3 I can just zap it back to them

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since it is a love story, it did not interest me at all. I hope Ben gets much better soon. Do they have good subs for you at school?

    ReplyDelete