Wednesday, June 8, 2022

A visit to the Columbus Zoo

Happy Wednesday everyone! Hope you all are having a good week. I think I am finally starting to get my energy back after our busy weekend. After spending most of the day at my sister's on Saturday, we decided to take the kids and have a family fun day on Sunday. We headed out to the Columbus Zoo for the day. 

It has been a couple of years since we have been to the zoo. I wanted to go partly because Ben has been loving the show "Secrets of the Zoo" on Disney+ that features the animals and workers at the Columbus Zoo. I also wanted to see their new exhibit called "Adventure Cove," which features sea lions and harbor seals. 

We decided when we arrived to buy a family membership for the year, as I can take the kids later in the Summer and meet up with my sister, etc. It also was cheaper to buy a membership than to keep coming each time and paying full price now that my kids are all over age 9 which is considered to pay an adult entrance price for the zoo. 

Our first stop was the new exhibit and it is amazing. They have an underwater tunnel where the sea lions can swim above you and it was so cool.



 

After, we also saw my favorite animal and the animal that I am slightly obsessed with... a sloth! :) :) :) 





Rebecca had a chance to pet some sting rays. Jacob and Ben were too scared to. 



We enjoyed all the animals. We were glad to see the flamingos were out as they had been in quarantine due to the avian flu that is going around. 














We all loved seeing all the animals. Ben even got me to go into the reptile building to see the snakes, which I really don't like.

We did splurge and got some dipping dots as it was in the upper 80s and HOT! 


 

We spent most of the day there and according to Bill's walking app, we walked 6+ miles. No wonder I have been sore and exhausted since then. 



It was a really fun day and we are already looking forward to our next trip!  

When is the last time you were at a zoo? What is your favorite zoo animal? 

8 comments:

  1. I love all the animals. Looks like fun. Can I join next time? Regine
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may absolutely join next time. 😀 If you're ever in Ohio let me know and we can plan a meet up.

      Delete
  2. I don't know why, but in my years in college with several road trips to Columbus, I somehow never made it to the Columbus zoo. My favorite zoo ever was the San Antonio Zoo, with the Dallas Zoo being a close second. Our nearest zoo is the Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle, and, frankly, it's awful. It's expensive ($26/per person) with special exhibits costing another $25. Parking is limited, and is $6/hour ($12 max.) Add to that, I found it probably just a slight bit better as far as zoos go to the Franklin Park Zoo in Boston, which I visited in the late 1980's, when it was deemed one of the worst zoos in the U.S. of course, around these parts, you criticize the zoo, and you are all but branded a heretic! While I don't necessarily like seeing animals confined out of their natural habitats, I like how zoos serve to educate us on the importance of biological conservation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate how places charge extra for special exhibits. The only thing the Columbus Zoo charges extra for is the giraffe feedings which we didn't do.

      Delete
  3. Looks like everyone had a good time. Sloths are one of my favorite animals too. I usually visit the St. Louis Zoo every couple years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been to St. Louis but would love to visit someday.

      Delete
  4. What a great zoo! It looks like so much fun! Great pictures!
    We went to a safari park zoo last year, and we had a good time. You drive around, and some animals come up to the car for the bucket of food. Ostriches and emus can be mean though, and they would peck at the window demanding food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a fun trip! We have a good zoo here in KC but I've not been in quite a while (I really should go sometime soon as they send us coupons to go for free every so often due to our county taxes paying for updates or something). I'm hoping we might sneak in the St. Louis zoo later this summer as we have to be in that area for one of my son's activities. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete