Friday, November 25, 2022

Hosting Thanksgiving for the 1st Time

Happy Friday everyone from our laid back, still food coma induced, household! I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving if you celebrated. 

This is how my week went. Monday, I attended the funeral for my uncle. I am glad that I went, even though it was hard. It was good to see relatives that I haven't seen in years. It really drove home that family is the most important. Unfortunately, mom wasn't there as she was home sick with what we now know is COVID. Also, my niece and nephew were home sick as well. In the back of my mind, I was beginning to wonder if we were going to do Thanksgiving at home as we were supposed to go to Mom and Dad's house. 

On Tuesday, I had a very busy day, between work and other things that were needed to be done. I helped decorate our school cafeteria for Christmas. Rebecca and I had hair appointments and then we had church choir practice. During practice my dad called officially cancelling Thanksgiving and said he would save the 22+ pound turkey for Christmas. Moments after Dad called, my sister called. We decided on late Tuesday night to have Thanksgiving dinner here and Bill and I would host. We both felt that we needed to be with family. Mary and Cecilia would bring over some sides as well. I also texted my brother and his girlfriend and my other brother as well. 

So, Thanksgiving was here yesterday, and it was honestly a very wonderful celebration. It was a lot of work and cooking but totally worth it.  



Funny story, I had run out in the afternoon to buy a stock pot as all the pots I had were not big enough for all the potatoes. Thankfully, Big Lots was open, so Rebecca and I ran in and bought a pot to save the mashed potatoes. I guess it is the beginning of my collection of larger items to cook for a crowd. 



Our dinner was fabulous. I made the turkey breasts, homemade applesauce, mashed potatoes, gravy, and corn casserole and a chocolate pie. Cecilia and Mary brought green beans, creamed corn, rolls, stuffing and a pumpkin pie. It was all super yummy. 




My brother and his girlfriend stopped by to say hi and hang out for a bit, but they had another Thanksgiving they had to be at, so they left before dinner. My other brother overslept, so Mary and Ceal took him food when they were leaving here to head home. 

After dinner, we played "We're Still Good" a game that Rhett and Link from the YouTube show "Good Mythical Morning" created. It is a super fun game, and it was super fun to play with everyone. We followed that with pie! 



 

Today, the kids and I are just hanging out at home. Bill is working. I have done a little bit of shopping online but nothing major. Later tonight after Bill comes home from work, we will put our Christmas tree up and start decorating for Christmas. We are currently watching our 1st Christmas show of the season... "Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas." 

Well, I am off to fold some laundry and relax. I hope everyone is having a good day shopping, eating leftovers, relaxing, or doing whatever it is that you are doing!  

10 comments:

  1. Blessings to you and may the days to come be good ones. Looks like you had a nice THANKSGIVINGS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How great that you were able to pivot and host on such short notice. Such a big job! Hope your mom feels better soon. I don't think people realize covid is still really rampant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bobi! Yes Covid is still running rampant.

      Delete
  3. Rachel,
    It all sounds and looks delicious. I am glad people brought some of the food. That is a pretty pot. Use Barkeeper's friend on it to keep it nice and shiny or let it get like mine, dark and ugly around the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sure hate to hear your mom got sick, but so glad y’all could still gather and have a wonderful Thanksgiving! It looks like so much fun. I’ve never heard of that game but I need to go check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy. It is a fun game... kind of like cards against humanity but a much more PG version.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like such a great Thanksgiving! You did a lot of cooking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hawaii Planner. It was a lot of cooking, but I like to cook so it was okay.

      Delete