Saturday, March 21, 2020

A day to just be....

… or otherwise known as Day 6 of "Extended Break" due to COVID-19! 

Last night I actually slept for a stretch of 6 hours uninterrupted. I woke up at 7AM and couldn't believe that I had actually slept. I had made some decisions that had been weighing on me and also decided that today would just be a day to be. 

I decided that I am suspending my tutoring business for the time being. I know the kids and their families that I tutor but I don't know who they have been in contact with, etc. Two of my tutoring kiddos have nurses as moms. :/ Last night we also got confirmation that there has been a confirmed case of the coronavirus in our community. That just hit too close to home. I sent messages to all the parents this morning and all were completely okay with the decision and most said they looked forward to working with me again soon. I *may* try to go to video/digital tutoring if I can figure out the right platform but for now I 100% believe that I have made the right decision. 

Today was also spent really just resting and being. I spent the morning watching cartoons with the kids and napping on the couch. We watched "Brother Bear" on Disney+. (I am so thankful that I ordered the year subscription for that app.) Ben spent much of the day making and playing in his "tent" in the living room. 


I didn't even shower until 2PM. After my shower I put on comfy, at home leggings and just puttered around. 


I made a yummy dinner that we hadn't had in a while--- smoked sausage and potato bake. 


I didn't force myself to do to much and just really focused on relaxing. I did clean up a few piles that were bothering me, but didn't really do to much deep cleaning. 



Tomorrow, I may be going out to my mom's house to do some laundry. The boys are almost out of clean clothes/underwear and since we have been around my mom and niece and nephew all week I don't feel too scared about being at their house during this social distancing/isolation phase. I think I have about 5-6 loads laundry to do. I am not sure when my washer will get fixed but am hoping it is this week. My gut is telling me that our governor is moving toward a "Stay in Place" order soon so I want to take advantage of her washer while I can. It will be weird not to go to church tomorrow. Our parish is going to live-stream mass at 10am on Facebook so I may log into watch that first. 

How are things looking where you are? How are you handling this social distancing time? 

8 comments:

  1. No school here...staying in and trying to stay well. I don't blame you for pausing your tutoring services. We have to be so careful now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are exactly right. Now is the time to be careful! :)

      Delete
  2. I don't think going to your mother's house is against the spirit of staying in place since you have not been around other people. I would continue to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you were wise to put tutoring on a hiatus. I am saddened that there are kids who will be responsible for their own educations at this point--many I know still have parents who must work, so they are alone, and others, like me, are not able to help with higher maths. I'd like to see the schools across the country give a bit of grace to students in this period. Actually, I'd like it all to be left to the individual teachers--indeed one of my kid's teachers has been in touch since the initial cancellation, all of her own volition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an extremely gut wrenching decision. I know that for at least half of my tutoring kiddos their teachers are in constant communication daily (these kiddos go to the same school as my sons). I am trying to come up with a video way to continue but that is not my forte so am struggling to come up with a way. I have also told ALL of the parents that if they get stuck please don't hesitate to call me or text me for guidance. I know that in our school district, the superintendent is asking for teachers to give that grace. It is heartbreaking for sure for a lot of kids though.

      Delete
  4. Glad you got some sleep! Our schools as of yesterday are now out until April 24. Probably a good idea to put tutoring on hold though I'm sure you'll miss the kids. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already miss the kids! :( Wouldn't have mattered anyways as of tonight our state is in "stay-in-place" mode with only essential personnel being allowed to work. We also had our 2nd confirmed case in our area as of this weekend. Our schools haven't made any announcements yet but I am thinking they are probably out the rest of this school year. :( Hope you guys are hanging in there. :)

      Delete