Sunday, March 8, 2020

Power of the Pen Regional Competition

Happy Sunday! Yesterday I spent the day being a parent chaperone for Rebecca's Middle School's Power of the Pen team as they headed to the Regional Competition. 2 weeks ago, they competed at District's and 11 out of their 12 writers advanced to Regionals. Rebecca was one of the 11 who moved on. 

Regionals were held at Otterbein University in Columbus and there were over 150 kids there representing 40 different schools. While the kids were off writing, I walked around campus for 2 hours. The weather was perfect. It started off cold but the sun was out and then it warmed up to the 50s. Felt so good to be in the sunshine and just enjoy the atmosphere. I *almost* felt guilty as these kids and the judges were in classrooms and I was out taking advantage of the sun. LOL 

This building was gorgeous and where Rebecca spent her time writing! 

I loved the look of this building.



Where the kids and I had lunch.
Back to the writers....They had 3 different 40 minute writing sessions. Then was lunch and waiting for the final results before the awards ceremony. You could tell that the kids were relieved at lunch. We had lunch at Otterbein's student cafeteria. The food was ok... alot better than what I remembered college food being like when I was a college student. LOL 

Rebecca and her friend Zoey 

After lunch, it was time to return for the award's ceremony. They started off with the 7th grade individual awards. They award medals to the top 12 and those 12 automatically get a spot in the state finals. Rebecca took home 12th place!! She was so excited. She was the only writer from her school to place in the top 12. 

Waiting for the awards ceremony to start

12th place!!
After the individual and team awards, they then awarded "Best of Round" awards from the District competitions. For these awards, they take all the writing ranked with a 1 in the each round and send them off to another group of judges who read them and discuss and basically take time to decide which one is the best. Well, Rebecca won "Best of Round 1" from Districts for her story!! That was a nice surprise as she didn't think she did that great of writing in Districts. 



I am so freaking proud of her! Now she has almost 2 months to get ready for the State competition. I love that she is so creative and loves to write and I love that she is seeing success. 

Today we have gone to PSR and Church. Rebecca is now doing homework and Jacob and Ben are playing. Later we will head to my parents' house as my Dad wants to have a little pizza party to celebrate Rebecca's accomplishments yesterday. 

Hope everyone is having a great weekend! 


4 comments:

  1. Get A Blank ATM CARD And Cash Good Money/Funds Pay Your Debt directly today in any ATM machine around you anywhere in the world. contact cryptoatmhacker@gmail.com.. It's 100% guaranteed secure with no worries of being caught because the blank card it's already programmed and loaded with good funds in it, in such a way that's not traceable which also have a technique that makes it impossible for the CCTV to detect you, i am not a stupid man that i will come out to the public and start saying what someone have not done. For more info contact Mr john and also on how you are going to get your Card, Order yours today via Email: cryptoatmhacker@gmail.com

    WhatsApp contact: +27733798090

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve always been quite untrustworthy of online logo design websites and online based logo designers as you can’t work with them physically and you’re not sure whether they’ll get the job done properly or not. But Scott from the logo designing team convinced and assured me that they’ll try their best to produce the best possible result from our collaboration. The design process itself was pretty simple and easy to go through and I received the first draft within 3-4 days, to my surprise. I had a few alterations I wanted to make to the design, and they cooperated with me and made the changes accordingly. I have to say, I was more than satisfied with the end result and the way Scott guided me for the usage of the logo design. Keep it up!
    affordable logo design
    cheap logo design

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get A Blank ATM CARD And Cash Good Money/Funds Pay Your Debt directly today in any ATM machine around you anywhere in the world. contact cryptoatmhacker@gmail.com.. It's 100% guaranteed secure with no worries of being caught because the blank card it's already programmed and loaded with good funds in it, in such a way that's not traceable which also have a technique that makes it impossible for the CCTV to detect you, i am not a stupid man that i will come out to the public and start saying what someone have not done. For more info contact Mr john and also on how you are going to get your Card, Order yours today via Email: cryptoatmhacker@gmail.com

    WhatsApp contact: +27733798090

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this post is from a while ago, but I will say that the team is amazing. We support each other, they are supportive, when I was onstage for my "best of round" award, it was quiet in the room until I heard my friend scream, "GO REBECCA!" Everyone laughed. It was surreal and amazing.

    ReplyDelete