Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Rough Morning, Outside Time and a question...

...Otherwise known as Day 10 of "Extended Break" due to COVID-19.

Today we had a rough morning. The boys didn't want to do their work independently. Jacob was in tears as I was making him do his work thoroughly and writing in complete sentences. Benjamin was in tears because I wanted him to do some of his work independently (as I can tell he is trying to tell me he can't do the work but I know that he can). I even overcooked my oatmeal for breakfast and it was cold by the time I was able to eat it. It was a trying morning.




We walked down to the boys' school to pick up the kids' lunch and I was pleasantly surprised by how nice it was outside. The sun was out and it was pleasant out (60 degrees). I decided that after lunch we would take a time out from school and play outside. 




We spent almost 2 hours outside jumping rope, throwing the football around, bouncing basketballs, etc. 

When we came in the kids had a snack. Ben watched "The Lego Movie" and Jacob finished up his school work (much calmer and better this time). I folded some laundry (SO thankful my washer seems to be working!) Bill went to the grocery store for me. We needed milk, frozen pizzas, and bananas. I sent him with a small list and he was able to get everything except frozen peas and corn on the list (which were NOT a necessity as we have one bag of frozen peas in our freezer and several cans of canned corn). He said it was weird in the store. They were limiting meat to 3 items (he scored a nice rack of ribs that were marked half price and some ground beef on sale). We have decided that since Bill is out working anyways that he would be the contact person for running errands, etc. while the kids and I stay at home most of the time. 

Dinner tonight was easy peasy--- chicken tenders, tator tots and green beans. Sometimes easy is best.



After dinner and chores, we took a family walk of about 1.7 miles. Just around our neighborhood. 



As we were walking we passed a couple of houses where people were sitting on their porches... we would say hi and everyone seemed kind of nice. Unlike in the past where people on porches seem to avoid making eye contact with us when we were walking. 

Now I am just waiting to the kids to bed. I am physically tired-- I guess that is what lots of exercise will do for ya! LOL I am hoping that tomorrow is a better day academically and that we can get some more outside time. 

Before I log off though, I have a question. I received several mini peppers in my Misfits Market box yesterday. 


Does anyone have a tried and true recipe that uses these? I really don't want them to go to waste. If you do, care to share? Thanks so much in advance! 


8 comments:

  1. Wash, stem, and cut out the seeds and membranes. Then, freeze until you need them. Freeze on a plate and then store in same bag. That way, they will not waste. I would use them like any HOT pepper.

    Did you see the art lesson on my blog? Also an expensive craft that could be made cheaply.

    Not one person has commented and few even visited. I suppose I am not writing about what people want to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found a bag for $0.99 in the clearance produce section once. I used them as I would bell peppers in a stir fry. This is the recipe I use. It doesn't call for peppers, but we love peppers in everything. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/233446/lo-mein-noodles/?internalSource=hub%20recipe&referringContentType=Search
    Even high schoolers sometimes cry about their work. Ours just rolled out today, but it's not mandatory. I told my freshman he had to do it nonetheless. Algebra on the computer, absent of pen and paper doesn't work, and I had to keep going back and forth over the video to understand it myself, once even closing out the page. Very annoying, but he did a good deal. DD isn't even bothering, so I told her not to come crying to me when she shows up in geometry and she is woefully behind. Ah well, tomorrow is another day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Rachel,

    My sister buys these from Sam’s Club and puts them on salads or pizza; she cuts them into loops. The ones she buys are sweet, not hot.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel, I am sorry you had a rough start to the day.
    Use the peppers like you would use any bell pepper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      My little peppers like that were very hot. I guess they must come hot or mild.

      Delete
  5. Rachel,
    Now, you can click on the link. The page will ask you if Adobe can be used or something. Let Adobe in...lol. Then, click cursor on the white page as you move the mouse. Each click will change the color. Drag the color. You will like it. Let me know on my blog when it works.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The ones we buy are sweet, not hot. We slice them into rings, and use them to top various dishes, and also to add to salad. We also slice into sticks & serve with hummus

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope yesterday was a better day for you! We get those peppers sometimes. My husband sometimes throws them on the grill with some onions in a foil packet and we add them to tacos or fajitas. Or if they're not hot (ours usually aren't), we treat them like regular peppers, seed them & cut up to just eat raw. I used to call the red and orange pepper slices "fire sticks" to get my kids to eat them when they were younger :) Hope you have a relaxing weekend full of lots of fresh air & sunshine.

    ReplyDelete