Sunday, March 22, 2020

Mass at home and laundry...

… otherwise known as Day 7 of "extended Break" due to COVID-19.

Today was strange as it was Sunday, yet we couldn't go to church as all the churches are closed. Our church did "live-stream" a mass on Facebook from the chapel. 



It was different, but at the same time the sense of community as you could see other people watching it was intense. I was talking to my dad about it and he thinks it is insane that they can't offer communion some way and he says that he will NOT watch any mass on TV or on social media. To each their own. I feel contentment on watching and feel like I need the prayer and somewhat continuity. 

I was also able to spend some time chatting with a very close friend of mine who lives in Singapore. She has been quarantined for a week as the country is on lockdown. We spent 45 minutes or so chatting on Facebook messenger about the challenges of homeschooling kids and getting everything done. We were also comparing how the USA and Singapore are handling things differently. It was a good chance to catch-up. 

After "Mass" and taking a shower, the kids and I headed out to my mom and dad's house so I could do some laundry. I spent the day doing laundry. Jacob and Ben spent most of the day outside playing with their cousins and Rebecca spent most of her day inside on her phone and playing cards with my dad. 


The big news in our neck of the woods tonight is that our Governor has issued a "stay-at-home" order for Ohio until April 6. This starts tomorrow at 11:59PM and goes through April 6. Basically it is a stay at home unless you have to go to the grocery store, pharmacy, bank or doctor's office type of order. He has asked all non-essential businesses to close. We won't know how this will affect us until Bill comes home from work. He works for a small food distributer that does wholesale and runs a grocery store. We shall see. He is pretty stressed about it. I am trying not to be stressed. 

When the kids and I got home tonight Bill did have a surprise for me. He ran out to get Jacob some deodorant as I realized he was almost out. He also picked me up a bag of chocolate. He must have known that I am stressed and anxious. LOL 


Well, I need to think about getting ready for bed. My mom is considered an "essential employee" so she has to work this week which means I have my niece and nephew. Tomorrow I also need to take the boys' work into their school and pick up their new work among other things that need to be done. 

How was your weekend? Has your location gone to a stay-in-place order? How are you handling the stress of this coronavirus situation? 




10 comments:

  1. My weekend was spent at home on Saturday and out for groceries today. I only had a few things I could not find before. Of course, I buy bananas every time I leave the house. We are supposed to keep a distance of 6', sometimes more...lol. I think all churches are closed and all restaurants. Most fast food has only drive thru service. The thrift store closed. I go into all stores, not Tommy, and use mask, gloves, and hand sanitizer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds smart. My hubby actually asked if he could go to the store as he wanted to get a feel for the situation. I think he was shocked at the people wearing masks, etc. We are also being asked to keep a 6' distance. Hope you and Tommy stay safe and healthy.

      Delete
  2. Our Governor shut down all non-life sustaining business last Thursday night in PA. Rite-Aid is giving non-management employees a $2 "Hero Pay" raise for the duration. I mostly stay home anyway so this stay at home/self-isolate thing isn't much of a change from my reg. routine. If I had school age kids I'd be drinking heavily tho. lolz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in WA, and my county has yet to issue a stay at home order. The only thing that is bothering me is the school--I am not a fan of online learning. I am hoping that this mess will finally demonstrate just how important face to face actual teaching is to education. I see that we were on a course of teachers rendering themselves obsolete by relying so much on paperless/video education.
    In any case, I am a homebody by nature anyway, so it hasn't effected me. If my kids were elementary school aged, I would enjoy the chance to instruct them. My youngest is a freshman, though, and no willing to allow me to help. Again...if they were books and paper packets, I could actually check to make sure assignments were complete, rather than having him give me access to his online ed. account, or simply read the book to figure out how to help with say, a math problem, rather than clicking, rewinding, fast forwarding a video.
    Hang in there. Best thoughts to you! Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (And, even though my comment is one huge run-on sentence, I assure you I am equal to the task of English instruction.)

      Delete
    2. I am enjoying being more hands on with the kiddos, especially with the boys. I just need to get into a routine. Ben has been getting packets of papers and workbooks. Jacob is a combo of the 2 methods (paper and computer work). Rebecca's is almost 100% online. And thanks for the kind words!

      Delete
  4. Our local county ordered a shut down that starts tomorrow and goes until at least April 22 (!) if I read it correctly. A lot of the order was already in place across our city anyway but now school is out until April 24. I'm guessing your husband's job will be considered essential. Glad he brought you some chocolate. Our weekend was okay. Just need the weather to improve a bit. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah many of the same mandates that are now required were already in place here too. I think this was just to make it formal. Bill works in the wholesale part that supplies to restaurants and schools though so that is why he is worried. I agree with the weather needing to improve!

      Delete
  5. Hello!
    We are home in Pa, schooling and reading and eating!
    Those peanut butter eggs look delicious!
    Would you believe we cannot find any here?!?
    Stay safe and healthy and cozy. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe you guys don't have the eggs there. That is insane. They are a staple here this time of year. Hope you guys stay healthy and safe as well.

      Delete