Thursday, March 19, 2020

Days 1-3 of "Extended Break" due to Coronavirus

So last time I wrote the Coronavirus was just a blip on the radar of most Americans and the sun was out and Rebecca had just earned herself a trip to the Power of the Pen State tournament. Wow, how quickly times have changed!!!! 

Here in Ohio things went CRAZY last week. It is hard to keep up so I am not even going to try. Let's just summarize what life is like right now because I do feel it is important to keep a journal of what is going on. 

So right now in Ohio--- Schools are closed at least for 3 weeks, restaurants are carry out or delivery only, grocery stores are out of toilet paper and essentials but trying to stock what they can, salon, tattoo parlors, etc. were shut down as of yesterday. Movie theaters, bowling alleys, etc. were closed down as of Monday. If you are sick with any symptoms employers are telling you to stay home. Churches are closed as they are recommending no gatherings over 10 and social distancing of at least 6 feet.  

More specifically, here is what has been going on in our household: I am trying to keep up with my tutoring this week. I am playing it day by day so we shall see. I am looking into online/video calling as a means to maybe continue past this week. I am "homeschooling" my kids as well as my niece and nephew during this time. My mom works for our school district food service and she is currently still working as they are providing free grab and go breakfasts and lunches for all kids in our district each day. I have been babysitting "A" as well, although her parents company is starting shut down as of next Monday so tomorrow should be the last day I have her for a while. 

So our week has looked like this: 

Monday 3/16/2020: Officially the first day of being at home. Bill was told they are cutting hours at his work. First day of having 5 kids in the house all day. Coming up with some sort of schedule including making sure the kids get outside. The kids and I walked a mile and counted birds. We called it gym class! :) The kids watched "Frozen 2." (Can I just mention how timely the songs are in that movie? "Into the Unknown" has been playing in my head ALL week!)


Tuesday 3/17/2020: Happy St. Patrick's Day! Started the day off with Lucky Charms! :) Goal was to pick up the kids' school work from their school. (Can I just take a moment and say that my kids' schools are AMAZING!? They have been in constant communication and sent home work and instructions for what is to be expected (Oh and before any questions my kids are in our local public school system). My niece and nephew are in a different district(still a public school) and they were just sent home with a pack of papers with no instructions or anything- just that this is 2 weeks worth of work. Don't get me wrong I appreciate they were able to send work home, but I feel like my kids' teachers went that extra mile and are awesome!). I printed off some math review sheets that were St. Patrick's Day themed for all the kids and had them do quiet reading time to get them used to doing school work at home. We also had them do an exercise video on YouTube as well! In other news, Bill got sent home from work as he has a runny nose and felt like crap. No fever. They weren't taking any chances so sent him home.  







Wednesday 3/18/2019: First day of school work. Got all the work done by 1:40PM. Teaching 4 different grade levels is insane-- I have pretty much told Rebecca that she is on her own. She is a straight A honors student; if she has a question she knows that she can ask me otherwise it is her responsibility to stay on top of her school work. Trying to find our groove, but we will get there. We walked down to the boys' school to take advantage of the grab-n-go lunches for the kids. Watched the movie "Cars." Bill was told to stay home from work again as they can't risk sickness. We did order pizza from a locally owned restaurant as they were closing last night until further notice due to COVID-19.  






So that is what is going on in our house in a nutshell. I am trying to take it a day at a time and find a groove. We shall be okay. Trying to stay focused on the positives of spending more time with the kids and being more involved in their schooling. I will leave you with this that I saw in a group on Facebook and then shared on my Facebook page: 



How are things in your neck of the woods? Hope everyone stays safe and healthy! 


4 comments:

  1. Great last picture. Yours looks like a busy household. Everything is the same down here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have this under control, my friend.
    We are much the same here.
    Homeschooling isn't new so that's easy.
    It does feel surreal though.
    Getting outside sounds great.
    Hoping here we can do that soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Going outside always helps. Hope Bill is feeling much better. We had that same cereal for our Saint Patrick's Day...though we made treats with it. (I didn't think they were as good as Rice Crispy treats). Everything is pretty much closed in these parts as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like ya'll are making the most of it! Everything is pretty much the same here where I live in Mississippi.

    ReplyDelete