Sunday, April 26, 2020

Outside time and Grocery shopping

Linda commented on my hike post from yesterday that I looked happy. Yes I was happy...happy to be out of the house and away from home. Happy to be out in nature and taking in a good LONG walk! I have stayed at home and only went out on short walks to the kids' school to pick up their lunches. I needed to get out. I didn't realize it but I was craving it. So yesterday when my sister texted and said she wanted to meet up at a local park so she could see the kids, I decided that since we would be outside that this was okay. So I took the kids to the park and met up with my sister, her girlfriend, my parents, niece and nephew and my brother. My dad had bought kites and bubbles for each kid to play with. They had a blast running around flying their kites and blowing bubbles. We were pretty spread out and honestly it was what my soul needed. 

Rebecca got her kite all the way up and to the end of the string. 
Hers is the highest one in this picture.

Jacob also got his kite up really high and was able to keep it up. 

Ben just had fun running around with his kite.

Bubbles

This morning I also went out on my own for the first time in almost 6 weeks the grocery store. I went at 7:30 figuring that the store would not be busy AND I did wear a mask.( A friend made masks for me, Bill and the kids.) 

My new fashion statement


Kroger wasn't that busy. About half the customers had masks on, the other half didn't. I was able to get everything on my list and a few other things. I noticed that some things were priced higher, but others were not. Eggs, milk and cheese were all about the same as they were the last time I was there. Frozen foods seem to be higher in price and Pop was more expensive. I didn't really notice any gaps except in the toilet paper aisle and cleaning supplies. The only limits were on toilet papers and paper towels. I did pick up a pack of toilet paper to start a little stockpile of beauty supplies. Our freezer and pantry are full again. I have a better idea of things I need to stock up on and things that I had bought when this whole thing started that we really don't eat (canned soup anyone?). 

Bill has done a great job grocery shopping for our family over the last 2 months, but it was time for me to take it back over. I cannot live in fear, but with the right precautions start getting back into some sort of routine. I will say that I was apprehensive going but like I told Bill last night, if not now when? I am glad that I went, however I will also say I was glad when I got back home. It is a really odd feeling but I guess is probably normal. 

How do you feel going out in public? Do you wear a mask or not? Are you looking at your grocery shopping differently?  

10 comments:

  1. I wear a mask and gloves and carry wipes with me. I am sort of tense. I do look for wipes, hand sanitizer, and a few things I always look for. I know what I want when I go in. However, I will buy other things and sort of look around, but not like I usually do. I use lots of hand sanitizer that is in front of store to clean my gloves on the way in and out of the store since I do reuse gloves a few times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I spent more time looking yesterday since our Kroger is in the middle of a huge remodel and moving aisles around.

      Delete
  2. I haven't been shopping much, but springtime is generally a time when sales are low around here anyway. On the few occasions I have been out, I haven't worn a mask, though I do have one made for me by a friend. I have always been an advocate for frequent handwashing, though--and years ago got quite a reputation at the OB/GYN for demanding it from a care giver. In any case, I have always washed my hands when I return home from doing anything, and my kids, for the most part, do too. I have always said that the schools would have less illnesses if they would insist that the elementary kids at least wipe their hands with those wipes they require in the supply list prior to entering the classroom in the morning and after recess. I'd also like to see them require the littles to leave their shoes at the door, and have "classroom shoes," as we did growing up--In the winter we took our boots and shoes off in the cloak room, and wore slippers, sneakers or slip on shoes indoors. I doubt very much our teachers were thinking of germs, I think they just figured w spent so much time sitting in circles on the floor, that the teachers didn't want us tracking snow, rain and dirt in. Plus, nothing would ruin a kid's day faster than having to spend it in cold, wet shoes and socks from walking to school in the rain and snow.
    As far as going out, I tend to not be a fearful type of person anyway--I tend to educate myself to minimize risks, take control of the things I can, and go about my business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Handwashing is super important and I don't think that is stressed enough.

      Delete
  3. I am 61 and my husband is 68 with both of us having diabetes and him also having asthma. My daughter is shopping for us and I have to tell you with her not wanting us out of the house I am stressing. I know what you mean by feeling safe once home and we only did a grocery pickup and never got out of the car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is nice that your daughter can do your shopping for you.

      Delete
  4. We have to wear a mask out in public and a store can refuse to let you inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is only "recommended" here not required. Even up to today some store aren't requiring their employees to wear masks. And I don't know of any stores that are refusing to let people in. We shall see if that changes once the Ohio governor gives his guidelines for re-opening which is something he is expected to do as early as today.

      Delete
  5. Here in NY state, masks are "mandatory", and stores have signs saying "no mask, no entry". I go for supplies twice a week, once for a bigger shop, the second time just for little things to get us through the weekend. With six kids here, we go through a lot of stuff. I also drop things off for others, like one of my sons who lives in town. I've seen toilet paper almost all of the times I've gone lately, haven't gotten anymore until today. I actually was able to get a large package of sanitizing wipes, too. People don't follow the signs on the floor, and don't social distance enough, but today in Aldi, oops, I realized I was going the wrong way. I'm so set in my ways, always follow the same path in stores, now it's all messed up, and sometimes old dogs like me can't learn new tricks so easily. But I do really really try to keep a distance. I think social distancing, hand washing, using hand sanitizer, not touching the mask, are important. My own humble opinion: now that everyone is wearing masks, they aren't as careful.
    Della

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting. :) I know with 3 kids how much stuff we go through I can't imagine with 6! Here in Ohio they are not mandatory yet and stores don't have that power yet. I wonder if that will change once the Governor puts his plans out (hopefully today) on how the re-open is going to happen. I also agree that I think the masks wearing may lead to not being as careful about the distancing.

      Delete