Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Every pregnancy is different



I have been pregnant 5 times.

September 2005 I had a miscarriage at 8 weeks.

November 28, 2006 my beautiful daughter was born after I had to be induced at 37 weeks.

September 21, 2008 I suffered a stillbirth, when our son Travis was born into Heaven at 20 weeks.

October 11, 2009 I gave birth via emergency c-section to our handsome son at 37 weeks.

And now I am on pregnancy #5.

Each pregnancy has been completely different. You would think that I had experienced a lot of different symptoms considering the # of pregnancies that I have had. But this pregnancy has brought about a bunch of symptoms that I have NEVER experienced before while pregnant.

During this pregnancy, I have experienced carpal tunnel symptoms. My hands and fingers often go numb overnight and hurt. The last couple of days, the soreness has also affected my arms. There are times during the day that my fingertips are numb. But most of the time this only occurs at night.

During this pregnancy, I had spotting early on. Many pregnant women experience spotting at some point during their pregnancy and most of this is normal. I had spotting early on, enough to think that I was having a miscarriage. I was diagnosed with a threatened miscarriage and was put on bed rest for a few days until the bleeding got better.

During this pregnancy, I have been on modified bed rest. I was never on bed rest with the other pregnancies. Modified bed rest is HARD! Especially when you are used to doing things your way when you want to do them, when you are used to being in charge and being housewife. It has been hard to give up control--at work, at home and just in general. I know that it is for the best, but it has been hard!

During this pregnancy I have tried to savor each moment. I savored being pregnant the other times, but this time it is even more special because this is the last time I am going to be pregnant. I have decided, along with my hubby, to have my tubes tied during my c-section. I cannot go through this again for various reasons. I don't feel that I can health wise go through this; it is recommended to not to have more than 2 c-sections; I am at a higher risk of miscarriage and stillbirth as I am prone to fibroids in the uterus.

Each pregnancy has been unique. Each pregnancy has offered it's own challenges. And each pregnancy has NOT been taken for granted. These are just some of the things that I have learned along the way.

2 comments:

  1. Each of my three pregnancies were different too. I had a great pregnancy with Bossy and Sassy until all of a sudden at 20 weeks...my water broke. And they were born at 23 weeks.

    My second pregnancy started with EXHAUSTION. At 6 weeks I found out it was twins, and at 12 weeks it was twins and a "triplet" that acted as a cancer. I was so tired and didn't feel well every single day. When we lost that pregnancy at 17 weeks, and I started to feel better....I didn't realize HOW sick I really felt.

    My third pregnancy....I didn't even know I was pregnant until the doctor told me. I felt great. Not a lick of trouble for me, but early on, there were signs on the ultrasound that there were problems. I miscarried at 10.5 weeks.

    We all have to do what is right for our bodies and our families. And if your family building is complete....then so be it.

    I am sure you can't wait to meet your little guy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about that! I can't wait to meet him and say that he is here! This next week is going to be the longest week before my c-section! I hope I don't go crazy waiting...LOL

      Delete