Skip Rock Shallows by Jan Watson (Review)




Skip Rock Shallows by Jan Watson, shares the story of Lilly Corbett- a newly graduated medical doctor, who has accepted an internship at a mining camp in Skip Rock, Kentucky in 1908. Upon arriving Lilly learns that she has many obstacles to overcome in her practice- she is a woman doctor, she will be the only doctor as the doctor she was supposed to help had passed away, and she is seen as a city outsider who doesn’t belong in the same circle as the miners.

Using her medical knowledge, compassion and the learned knowledge that there is a familial relationship with on of the miner families, Lilly is finally (mostly) accepted by the community, much to the chagrin of her fiancĂ©e. Interlaced in the story is a romance between Lilly and a miner, Joe Repp, who has his own share of secrets some of which involve Lilly’s past.

I believe that the story of Joe and Lilly is supposed to be the main plot in the story, however I felt that was actually the weak link in the story. I enjoyed and actually became engrossed into the formation of relationships between Lilly and the other characters in Skip Rock, but I was left wanting more in the relationship between Joe (Tern) and Lilly.

I felt the story flowed well with enough action to keep it moving and to keep the reader drawn in. I felt like I was right them in that 1908 coal mine cam because of the descriptive and eloquent language that Watson uses. Overall, I really enjoyed this book.



Disclaimer: I received this book free from the publishers, Tyndale House Publishers in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy 5th birthday Benjamin!

Weigh In Wednesday #15 of 2017

Cleaning and decluttering this weekend