Friday, September 22, 2017

Sausage Egg Roll in a bowl (low carb) (new recipe #13 of 2017)

I am still trying to find new recipes to make. I had some reactions to carbs this week that means that I need to go low carb from now on until I am sure I can still handle processed carbs. What that means is that some nights, I will have to make separate dinners for myself than I make for the family (ie. if they are having sandwiches, I will make something else.) That is what I did on Wednesday night. I wasn't feeling all that well and we figured out it was a reaction to an overload of carbs, so I made the family what I had on the menu--sandwiches, and I made a new low carb recipe for myself.

I had seen the recipe for a sausage egg roll in a bowl on Facebook and decided that it sounded really yummy. It is also low carb which is a win in my book. 



I followed most of the recipe, using chopped up cabbage and shredded carrots in place of the cole-slaw mix. I also used ground ginger instead of the minced ginger as that is what I had in my cabinet. I had this for dinner that night and LOVED it! My kids didn't want to try it and my husband wasn't a fan either. I guess it is something that I will make for myself. 

I wasn't sure how it would reheat, but I have eaten it over the last 2 days just heated up in the microwave and it reheats just fine and is still yummy. I also decided to not add the sesame oil to my lunch servings the last 2 days as I am not a huge fan of sesame oil and I think it was just as good. I have added fresh green onions to each serving before I ate it! 


I think this will definitely be an added dish for days/nights when I want something different or need a low-carb dish when the food I am cooking for Bill and the kids is heavy on the carbs. 

If you have any tried and true low carb recipes, please share!   

OTHER NEW RECIPES TRIED IN 2017:
Pork Chop and Scalloped Potato Bake
Tex-Mex Tilapia
Baked Chicken Parmesan
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins 
Pizza Grilled Cheese
Southwestern Style Egg Scramble
Tuna Avocado Salad
Monkey Salad
Mini Mozzarella Stuffed Italian Meatloaves
Crockpot Cheesy Chicken Ranch Tater Tot Casserole
Buckeye Bars
Greek Style Green Beans and Chicken in the Crockpot

4 comments:

  1. I can imagine it was delicious. So many times as I try to eat an egg roll, it falls apart or the filling falls out. I eat that and wish I had more filling. In the past I have often opted to eat just the sandwich insides, leaving off the bread if I am making it myself. If I am not making the sandwich, I just open the sandwich and use a fork on the insides. Now that I have found out I am allergic to wheat, I need to do that now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fresh ginger will make it even better and it freezes great too. How about broccoli cheese soup? I freeze that also.

    ReplyDelete

  3. I absolutely love this post. Thank you for sharing with us. Now, it's time to explore
    mental health calgary for more information.

    ReplyDelete