Friday, January 8, 2021

Foodie Friday: What are we eating around here?

Happy Friday!

I started this post a few days ago and I had a different opening in mind. However, I have to say that the events that happened Wednesday warranted a more serious opening. I typically do not discuss politics on this blog. However, I will say that on Wednesday I felt disgust, anger, sadness, and so many other negative emotions as I watched the events unfold at our country's capital. I really couldn't put into words what I was feeling, until a friend compared her feelings to how she felt right after 9/11. It is the same type of fear. However this time it is caused by homegrown "terrorists" not some unknown foreign terror group. She hit the nail on the head with that one. I just feel like all I can do is pray. 

Now that I have addressed that, let's get back to my Foodie Friday post. As I mentioned in my New Year's Goal post, I want to menu plan, stick to it and blog about it each week. Well, I thought about what day of the week to post these menu highlights. A lot of people post on Sunday or Monday as that is the days that their menus start. However, that really doesn't work for me. So, I have decided to post on Fridays. I am doing this because Thursdays are days that I try to go to the grocery store for the following week and it is when I really finalize my menu plan for the next week. Therefore, "Foodie Friday: What are we eating around here?" came to mind.


I am going to be doing 2 things with these posts. First I will highlight what we ate the previous week, whether we followed the plan, etc. Then I will post what the plan is for the next week. If you feel inclined to follow along, please do. I get inspiration from blogs and postings online for new recipes to try, things to add to my menus, etc. So without further ado, let's get this Foodie Friday: What are we eating around here? started. 

What did we eat this past week? 

Friday 1-1-21: Pork loin, mashed potatoes, coleslaw, green beans, applesauce (I tried a new recipe for the pork and it was super yummy! Will definitely be making it again.)


Saturday 1-2-21:
Pizza rolls and peaches for kids. Steak, baked potato and corn for date night. (I was going to make asparagus but after steaming it, it was mushy and gross. So I punted and heated up a can of white corn.) 



Sunday 1-3-21: meatloaf, julienne potatoes, peas, crescent rolls



Monday 1-4-21: hot ham and cheese sandwiches, corn leftover corn and peas, coleslaw, oranges



Tuesday 1-5-21: cream of chicken and wild rice soup, rolls



Wednesday 1-6-21: sloppy joes, green beans, corn, and peaches



Thursday 1-7-21: waffles, bacon, and pears. Honestly I wasn't feeling it. We had to take Bill's van to the brake shop and I had to pick him up and I took the easy route and threw a couple frozen pizzas in the oven for Bill and the kids. I heated up the last of a bag of french toast sticks and some sausage. 




What are we planning to eat this coming week?


Friday 1-8-21: Waffles, bacon and pears (moved from yesterday)

Saturday 1-9-21: Dinner with friends. Pasta bake made with penne pasta, Italian sausage and alfredo and marinara sauces. Served with green beans and garlic bread. (Friends are bring dessert.) 

Sunday 1-10-21: Turkey breast made in crockpot, mashed potatoes, stuffing, peas

Monday 1-11-21: Crockpot chicken ranch tater tot casserole, broccoli

Tuesday 1-12-21: Chicken enchiladas and salad

Wednesday 1-13-21: Chili and grilled cheese

Thursday 1-14-21: Fish sticks/filets, cole slaw, french fries

What have you been eating or cooking lately? Share your menu ideas in the comments! 

6 comments:

  1. Rachel, I love this post! Please keep sharing. And may I say, you are a rockstar! I too meal plan each week. I usually do it Saturday morning and send out the menu in our family text so all my older kids can plan their evenings. Fortunately, I am able to lure all of them home most nights! This week we had Tuna and Noodles, Enchilada Casserole, Crockpot Roast Beef, and Teriyaki Chicken. Tonight is is just Steve, Flynn, and I so we are getting take out, Flynn's choice. I think it will be McDonalds, which is ok with me!Tomorrow everyone will be here for football, so I am making sloppy joes. Have a cozy day and a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonight, I am opening a jar of spaghetti, and add bell pepper, onions, garlic, and ground beef, cooking pasta. Salad is on the menu, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea. I can always talk about food, LOL. This was a rare week where we followed the menu plan around here but 2 of my meals were leftovers frozen from a different day. Those days were French toast (I did cook fresh bacon & sausage) and then, minestrone soup and small sides of homemade lasagna. Tonight, I've decided is going to be leftovers or we may go out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely meals and even the days you punted, hey, all were fed. I have done comfort and stress eating the last few days and feel lousy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your plated meals look really nice. I love all the photos on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having to figure out what to cook every night for the rest of my life depressed me when I was 30. I am just numb now. Last night's plans did not come to fruition.

    ReplyDelete