Friday, January 1, 2021

New Year's Eve and New Year's Day 2021

Happy Friday and Happy 2021! It is a brand new year. Can't say that I am sad that 2020 went away. 

The last day of 2020 was pretty good. Bill had the day off and we didn't tell the kids so they were surprised when they got up and Bill was still home. We spent the day puttering around. Bill watched some football. We took a 2 mile walk as a family. The river was up pretty high as we had gotten a ton of rain the day before. 






Last night we had our "fancy appetizer" dinner that the kids look forward to. I pulled out our wedding china and candlesticks out of our curio cabinet and we had a variety of appetizers for dinner.




 

After dinner, we cleaned up and watched some TV. We watched Episode 1 of The Mandalorian. It was pretty good and I think Bill and I will be watching episodes together over the next couple weeks. Then it was time for our annual family Scrabble game. Needless to say I didn't do very well since I kept getting tiles like this...



After Scrabble, we enjoyed dessert. I made a homemade peanut butter pie that was really easy to make and super yummy. It is one cup peanut butter, 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 brick of cream cheese and 1 container of cool whip. You mix all that together and put in an oreo pie crust. I topped mine with reese's cups. Super yummy! 




After dessert, we played several rounds of Bananagrams. The boys love the game and it is a great game to play with the whole family. 

Then it was time to watch the ball drop in NYC and at midnight Bill and I kissed. Rebecca opened the front door and kicked the old year out and let the new year in. All the kids made it to midnight this year. We let Ben stay up this year. We all went to bed around 1 AM  but not before we took a family selfie.


 

Today, we have been working on taking down the indoor Christmas stuff. We woke up to freezing rain and then heavy rain so the outdoor lights will be taken down another day. We got all the indoor Christmas stuff put away. :) We have also been watching college bowl games. Unfortunately the teams that we are cheering for have lost today... Cincinnati and Notre Dame. :( We will end the evening with watching Ohio State and Alabama. Bill hopes that Alabama crushes Ohio State, much to the chagrin of Jacob. 

Tonight for dinner I made a pork loin and it was delicious. So juicy and yummy. The recipe can be found here



Not sure what else we will be getting into tonight or this weekend. I have a few organizing projects I would like to do and some blog posts that I would like to write including some goals for 2021 and our menu plan. 

What have you been up to this first day of 2021? Do you still have your Christmas decorations up or have you taken them down? 

8 comments:

  1. Tommy reached outside and brought in the wreath and took the lights off, wrapped them around a toilet paper roll, took out the batteries. That was the extent of taking down. The rest comes down tomorrow, my traditional day to take down decorations. We had blackeyed peas, coleslaw, and collard greens. I really want bananagrams! Can two play?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such fun NYE traditions! Had a lazy first day of 2021 around here, major snowstorm for our area so it fit. I didn't make it up until midnight last night so I had my champagne in the form of a mimosa for breakfast, then the normal black-eyed peas at dinner. I spent part of my day taking down Christmas decorations as well. Almost everything is finally put away. Nativity stays out until Thursday. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know I've never had a mimosa? Maybe need to change that this year. Lol. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  3. Oh my! Your family does NYE and day right! What a fun tradition of fancy foods with the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year Rachel to you and all the family!

    ReplyDelete