Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Memorial Day 2021 parade and cookout

Happy Tuesday, happy June, and the first official day of our Summer schedule! I hope everyone had a good Memorial Day. I really tried to keep reminding the kids of the reason for Memorial Day as we did different activities.  

Our first activity yesterday was going to our town's Memorial Day parade. They cancelled last years parade due to COVID, but they had it again this year. It was so nice to be out and do something normal. It was a shorter parade this year, as they had to wait until early last week to finalize that they would even be allowed to have one so a lot of groups didn't plan to walk in it. Even though it was short it was still pretty special. It was so nice to see people that we haven't seen in a long time and to honor the sacrifices that men and women have made in the past so that we can have parades and get togethers. 

Waiting for the parade to start. Rebecca went off and sat with her best friend across the street. 

Our town's new ladder track. It is bright orange and black as our high school is the Yellow Jackets! 


The wheels on this car were insane and tilted in.



My dad teased that I needed one of these dresses. 



Cousins, after the parade from oldest to youngest

My dad told them to put their arms around each other! LOL 

My dad and I 


In the afternoon, we headed over to my parents house for a cookout. My mom really didn't want to have one, but my dad did so we had one. My brother and my dad were in charge. Actually my brother ended up cooking the food on the grill and they turned out pretty tasty. 







The weather was perfect for playing outside as it was partly cloudy and in the low 70's. The kids had fun playing with their cousins and with Indy, my brother's dog. Lots of games of cornhole were played. I even played 2 games which tired me out!  





Today is the first day of our Summer schedule. Like last Summer I have my niece and nephew here daily as my mom has to work. I need to figure out a routine that will include time outside and some school work for the kiddos as well. Today we are just kind of playing it by ear, although it is almost 9AM and they are already wild or I am just sleepy (Bill has to be at work at 4AM this week, so I have been staying up late to get kids to bed, and then waking up when he is getting up to go to work and not really being able to go back to sleep. It is what it is and hopefully they will give him a regular schedule of being in at 7AM soon.) For now, I need to go figure out my nephews blood glucose levels and insulin for his breakfast. 

Did you have a cookout for Memorial Day? Any fun plans for this week? 

4 comments:

  1. Happy Memorial Day. It looks like you had a lot of fun.
    I am always impressed by the way you organize your time with your kids. I know you will get the summer figured out as well. Wishing you strength, stamina and health!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I need lots of that stamina and strength. 2 days in and I have had to take naps each day.

      Delete
  2. I remember Cornhole from my Ohio days!
    I hope you are gaining some stamina back as the days go on.
    Youngest grilled our steaks yesterday. He cooked them perfectly! We also had cucumber salad, baked beans, and chocolate cheesecake for dessert. There was a bottle of cabernet, split between DH and me. Since it was so warm, Daughter set the patio table, so we enjoyed eating outside. Here in the PNW, we do not get many, if any, bugs as we did in the northeast and southwest. (I am always amazed at that, even after all these years...funny how conditioned I was to expecting bugs.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your dinner sounds yummy! I think my brother is planning on grilling steaks this coming Saturday for my sister's birthday. Cornhole was fun, but 2 games about did me in. Last Summer I was able to play 6 or more games in a row without being tired. It is what is is.

      Delete