Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Exceptional Life by Stepen Arterburn

With the new year upon us, it seems to be the perfect time for people to want to read self-help books and books to help them hopefully reach their goals that they have for the new year. I am no different. The first book that I have read in this new year of 2012 was: The Exceptional Life: 8 Powerful Steps to Experiencing God's Best for You  by Stephen Arterburn.



The Exceptional Life is for people whom feel they have aspects of their lives that need to be changed. It is for people dealing with isolation, anger, and/or guilt that is stopping them mentally and emotionally from leading a fulfilled life. Arterburn addresses 8 common emotional issues that may hamper a person from living what he calls an exceptional life. These issues are: guilt and shame, resentment, fear, anger, instant gratification, learned helplessness, isolation, and addiction. Arterburn includes many personal stories from himself and others to help illustrate how these issues stop us from living the life we were meant to live. He then goes on to show how to replace these issues in our lives with good emotional health that includes hope, love, trust, patience, power and freedom. At the end of each chapter, Arterburn offers discussion questions that can be answered alone (as I did) or in a small group setting.

Overall, I felt that The Exceptional Life offers great advice for healing in the New Year. I am glad that I read this book as the first book that I read in 2012.

Disclaimer: I was provided with a copy of this book for free from Bethany House Publishers. All opinions expressed are 100% my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment