Monday, June 3, 2013

The Spirit of the Heart by Ismael N. Nuno, M.D. (book review)



Book Description (from Amazon.com)

As one of America's former leading cardiac surgeons, Dr. Nuño healed patients' hearts. Fixing "broken" hearts gave him a unique and intimate view into the power of the heart. Even coming face to face with death and losing patients, there is a beauty that can exist even in loss. The Spirit of the Heart is a collection of heart-warming stories that resonate at the core of our humanness. He graciously offers the insights he has gained from occupying a front-row seat at some of life's most real and raw moments. These tender stories teach us about what it means to be human, to be connected to others, to love, to live, to forgive.
 
My thoughts:
 
I have to say first off that I loved this book! This is a book full of stories of life, loss, hope, laughter, love, and grief. It is full of stories from renowned cardiac surgeon, Dr. Ismael N. Nuno, M.D. Dr. Nuno writes from his heart. He tells stories of saving his sister's life on a flight to a foreign country; he writes of working with other surgeons and the comraderie that develops. He tells about how human reactions differ when people are faced with a life threatening heart condition or how their families react toward him and toward the patient.
 
This book reminded me of the "Chicken Soup for the Soul" books  in that not all the stories that the doctor tells have happy endings, but all the stories offer food for thought and for your soul. The stories that Dr. Nuno shares made me laugh, made me cry, and made me appreciate the simple gift of a heartbeat.
 
Disclaimer: I was sent this book by The Cadence Group for the purpose of reading and reviewing. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment