Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Bill's job saga the last 2 months

I have mentioned here recently that there has been a lot of stress in our home, especially concerning my husband's job. He was employed by our local newspaper as their sports editor. He held the job for over 8 years. Over the last year or so, his immediate boss has been making his life extremely difficult... accusing him of things he didn't do, hiding cameras and saying that Bill never turned them back in, searching through his computer when he wasn't there, etc. We both felt that she was trying to find anything in order to fire him. There was extreme lack of communication, etc. It got to the point, where there was workplace bullying going on and it was causing Bill to have mental and emotional stress. He was also being forced to work close to 70-75 hours a week on a small salary. (If he didn't cover something he would get written up, or told that this could cause him to be let go, etc.) This let to physical fatigue as well. 

All of this led to Bill having a breakdown a few months ago, where he ended up in the ER with heart racing episode and it was determined that it was not his heart but rather extreme stress and anxiety and fatigue. He was prescribed an anti-anxiety medication to go along with his anti-depressant that he was already on. His doctor also encouraged him to maybe look for a different job (he has been looking for a different media job for over a year; there is just nothing available that would be an increase in salary or would be a step up from his level). His doctor also wanted him to work less than 40 hours a week, however knowing the business Bill told his boss that he could work the agreed upon 45-50 hours. They also changed around his work schedule to where he was working at nights putting the paper together instead of in the morning when everyone else was working. 

Sounds like it should have worked out for everyone, right? Wrong. Instead, his boss started forcing him to come in during the morning at least 2 times a week for "meetings." Meaning he would work until 3AM, only to have to turn back around to be back in around 10AM for a meeting. He would also get texts at 6, 7, 8 in the morning with questions or ideas for stories, while he was supposed to be sleeping. If he didn't respond right away he would get lectured when he went into work that night for lack of communication, etc. 

The situation came to a head after a particularly bad night when he was yelled at for something completely out of his control (he hadn't covered a certain school's game and a parent was mad-- he had to cover another school's game at that same time and he was the only sports person available). He sent an email to his doctor telling her that if he had a gun, then he would end his life. At 7AM the next morning, I got a restricted phone call on my phone but didn't answer it. I instead got up and took my shower as normal. As I was getting out of the shower, Jacob was pounding on the bathroom door saying he had to go potty. I told him to go downstairs to the bathroom down there, and he responded that he couldn't because there was police in the living room and Daddy said to stay upstairs. I quickly dressed and went downstairs where I learned about the email to Bill's doctor and that she had tried to call and when she couldn't get a hold of us, she asked the local cops to do a well check. That was when I also learned he had thought about ending his life. 

That day, we spent time at his doctor's office and in the Emergency Room in their crisis room. He was evaluated and deemed okay to come home and not be admitted. They did decide to wean him off the anxiety meds that he was on. They also made him appointments to be evaluated a couple of weeks later. 

When Bill returned to work, nothing had changed. In fact, things got worse. Another co-worker came up to Bill one night and asked him if he was okay and that he didn't want to bother him but his boss had said that "Bill had serious mental health issues that didn't allow him to work during the day and also Bill was anti-social and didn't want to be around anyone". His boss also told Bill that any communication needed to be done through the publishers and not to her. 

At this point, I told Bill he could get jobs at McDonalds and I wouldn't care as long as it meant I would get my husband back. We would make whatever work. Around this same time, Bill reached out to a friend from church who has opened 2 restaurants in our town in the last few months. He asked him if there was any openings in his stores and he explained everything that had happened recently. This man graciously offered Bill a job in his new sub shop after talking to him that afternoon. It is out of the media business and is not quite the same money he was making at the paper but it would get him out of that toxic environment. So Bill put in his two week notice into the paper on a Friday. 

On the following Monday night, Bill went and covered a baseball game like normal and then went to the paper to put the sports pages together and write his story. While there, his boss came in and after an hour didn't appear to be doing anything. It was highly unusual for her to be in after 8pm. Bill texted me that a co-worker was getting ready to leave and he didn't want to be alone with her. I told him to come home if he was uncomfortable. So he decided to come home. When he got home, he said that he got a text from her saying that she needed him to come back because she wanted his keys.  When he got back, his boss told him that they were releasing him from his 2 week obligation due to the atmosphere and that they would still pay him for the 2 weeks and his accrued vacation time (3 weeks). So Bill handed over his keys and left, ending his career at the newspaper. 

So what now? Well, now Bill is working at the sub shop. He also will soon be working part-time at Kroger (he had orientation there last week). He is dealing with the loss of a salaried job and taking on an hourly job. He has his moments of being extremely down and his moments of thinking he has made a huge mistake. I will be honest and say that this has been an extremely hard transition. We are just in the beginnings of the transition and so hopefully we have hit the rock bottom and are climbing up.   

  

20 comments:

  1. Rachel, I am so sorry for the horrible way Bill was treated. I am sure you have considered some legal action, but I would call the department of labor and find out, even though he was salary, what recourse there is. he also was victimized with HR data privacy if a co-worker was given that information by his boss. For you though, know you can't be the one to fix the situation alone. He needs help and you need support, so make sure you still are getting your and the kids needs met. For bill, there is no lesser purpose than continuing to work in jobs that provide a wage and provide for a family. He is doing what he can for now and that is commendable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He had contacted the EEOC at the beginning of the year but then decided not to pursue it at the time. I will talk to him about if he wants to call them again. He is just so overwhelmed with trying to make ends meet now that he is in panic mode.

      Delete
  2. Rachel, I am so sorry that your family has had to endure this. I have my own story of illegal, toxic behavior on the part of my supervisor to the point, it was impacting my health, not to mention work-life balance. Fortunately, I had the support of my union, and access to my union attorneys. I got a very generous severance package-unheard of in my career, due to the severity of the boss's illegal actions against me. Nerve racking to be sure, to end a lifetime career unexpectedly. Fast forward, and it has been the best thing for me and my family. Please be good to yourself, encourage Bill to continue to seek some counseling, even if just through your church. Have the grace to accept any benefits available to you to ease this period: a food pantry/SNAP, etc. SPeak with your town/city social worker and see what services you may qualify for. Here to support you, feel free to message me thru my blog, and I will reply to the email privately, if you wish. You've got this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am really trying to stay busy and surround myself with others. Bill is having a worse time than I am so am trying to be the shoulder he can cry on. I believe things will end better because that has been our history. It is just a hard time right now.

      Delete
  3. Long-time reader, first-time commenter. Workplaces can be such terrible and toxic environments. I have my own story and it took me a long time to get over it. Bill will need time to climb out of this hole and regain his sense of self-worth, but he has your love and support

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That he does. I am trying to be here for him, but it is hard for him.

      Delete
  4. I left a beloved part time gig, teaching dance, due to similar behavior in our business manager. One thing I found out, though, when I started speaking up to other teachers, is that, while this woman made me feel as if I was the one with the problem, I was not alone in my dealings with her. Every other teacher, and our office assistant all had issues with this woman, making them consider leaving before the season ended. This woman's hostility was thriving in her ability to alienate and misrepresent. It was only when a parent of a student brought something she did to my attention that I realized I was NOT crazy, so I started asking around. We teachers finally had a meeting of heads with the director, and a strained peace was restored until season's end. The taste in our mouths was so bad, that several of us refused to step foot in that studio again, in spite of the culprit resigning her position.
    My point in all this is that your husband very well may not be alone in his experience there, for all he feels it. Even so, best of luck with his new direction. A change can be as good as a rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the sad part. He wasn't alone. They have lost at least 4 people in the past 2 years due to his boss' behavior towards them and the toxic work environment. The publishers' responses in all of the situations is that "everyone should just get along." They looked the other way even when Bill gave them evidence of what she was doing.

      Delete
  5. I am really sorry your family has been going through this. I have a family member who is on depression and anxiety meds and it has helped a lot. His boss needs to be reported and Bill should be compensated for all the crap she gave to him. Hang in there Rachel with you and your kids help, hopefully Bill will start to feel better soon. Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish he would be compensated, but I doubt that will ever happen. We are trying to stay strong for him. We will get through this. Thanks.

      Delete
  6. I am so sorry Rachel. I hope the changes will be just what is needed for Bill's health. The publishers of his former paper might like to hear his boss was releasing pertinent health info about one of their employees to others. (accurate or not!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they knew. They were made aware of everything and their response was " Everyone just needs to get along."

      Delete
  7. Is all the stuff told about bill even true? Not only is she doing something illegal, she is falsifying the information. Seek help to make sure she does not do this again. Can you say 'lawsuit'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The things his former boss was telling others was not true. Yes Bill has anxiety and depression and is on medication but he is not anti-social or have "mental" issues. His schedule had been changed to cut his hours down, not because he was anti-social.

      Delete
  8. Wow Rachel...I'm so sorry that Bill had to endure such a hostile and passive/aggressive work environment! If Bill is up for addressing it, I agree with letting the publishers know that his old boss was telling others of Bill's health issues - I'm sure she broke a ton of laws doing that!
    While the transition to something different may be challenging, I think it will put Bill (and your entire family) in a much better place since he will be out of the toxic environment.
    Hugs to you all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It is very challenging, especially since he is not getting hours now and since he is paid hourly it is bad. His publishers knew what was going on and they did nothing to address it, except to tell everyone to get along.

      Delete
  9. I'd be getting a lawyer but that's me(I am like a dog with a bone).lolz
    I'm sorry Bill's journalism career ended like this....it's hard enough for a man to leave a job when he WANTS to, but to be forced out like that due to despicable and illegal behavior by a superior makes the transition harder. A man's job has a lot to due with his sense of self-worth so it may take him time to get beyond this period and to a good place again mentally. Therapy and drugs help.
    I hope y'all documented all this so a lawyer could possibly have a case. I do believe this company may owe Bill monetarily and any cash recovered would go a long way to get Bill some training in another field if that's the route he wants to go.
    Let me know if I can do anything to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you hit the nail on the head when you talked about his sense of self-worth. His self-worth and self-esteem are so low right now that it is scary. I am just trying to help him get through day to day.

      Delete
  10. I am a long time reader but it's my first time commenting. I can so identify with your husbands issue at work because almost the exact same thing happened to my husband !
    My DH was the editorial illustrator for a well known newspaper in our home town for 15 years but it appears his new supervisor, a woman did not like him. She constantly berated his work (he had won numerous national awards), was always having him re-do the illustration, calling at all hours for him to come back as she wanted something "different".
    Eventually he was let go, from one day to the next, and even today 20 years later, he still has nightmares about it, as he truly loved that job and was very well respected (until the new boss came along).
    It turned out that she wanted to bring in her own people, who had worked with her at another newspaper. After firing DH, she eventually got rid of the entire art department little by little.
    Despite all his awards he had difficulty finding a new job in his field (the paper he worked with was the only one in town). He finally got a job at TSA at our local airport, related to nothing that he had done in the past.
    Thank goodness, he is now retired, but it was hard going.
    Good luck to both of you, been there done that and it is very hard.
    Teri
    I wish your husband well

    ReplyDelete
  11. You WILL both get through this, I know it. I had a similar experience myself with a person I worked with and it was horrific, the tension, stress, low self-esteem and so on. It took many months but eventually all was resolved and the other employee was transferred then eventually fired when she behaved in the same despicable manner to another teacher.
    It is very hard to pursue something like this on a legal basis though it is wonderful to feel justified IF it works out that way. But, in the meantime take advantage of the support of your family and your faith. In a way this is harder on Bill than it would be on you due to the man/breadwinner role. That's so hard on a man/father/husband.
    Sending you positive thoughts and will hold you all in my prayers. All the best Rachel.

    ReplyDelete