Friday, June 1, 2018

Girl's day out exploring our county

Thanks everyone for your comments on the post about Bill's job saga. We are still in the beginning stages of the transition and things have been very hard. We are taking things day to day and just trying to move on. I am trying to make sure that I focus on the kids, especially now that it is summer break. Again, thanks so much for all your comments and encouragement. This is just a hard time, but I know that we will get through it. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------


Last Thursday, my mom, sister and I decided to take a "Girl's Day" and explore some places around our county. I wanted to take my mom and sister out to Honey Run Waterfall and to the Bridge of Dreams. We also wanted to hit up some local bakeries, amish type stores, etc. 

We started out our day with having breakfast at the Café on Main Street, a local eatery. It was super yummy. 




Then we headed out to our first stop... Troyer's of Apple Valley. This is a neat shop, where we got some treats. I bought a couple candies that reminded me of my grandmas and a small loaf of rhubarb bread that is really yummy. 

Then it was out to the waterfall. It was gorgeous out and the waterfall was flowing pretty heavy as we have had a couple storms recently that dumped a lot of rain. My mom loved it and was climbing up on the rocks, etc. I did fall on my behind on the rocks near the falls! 











It was a lovely time. After we left the falls, we headed out toward the Bridge of Dreams, making a stop at an Amish furniture store that also had a bakery attached. My sister got a homemade soft pretzel that was super yummy! 



Then it was time to stop at the Bridge of Dreams.




After the Bridge of Dreams, we headed to another country market that was a dud-- it ended up being a bent and dent store and it was awful. 

After that we headed back towards our town. On the way, we discovered an amish bakery called "Raber's Country Bakery" that I will definitely be going to again. They had super yummy crème donut sticks and they were so good! The store smelled so good! Apparently they are also a produce stand in the summer. When you walked in most of the building was their ovens and there were Amish women making pies and cookies in the back. It was a really neat place. 


Once back in town, we stopped at a local farmer's market where I picked up a couple of locally grown tomatoes-- our first of the season. Then we headed to a craft store, before picking the kids up from school. It was a great way to spend a day with 2 of the favorite women in my life. It was definitely good for my soul. 

3 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a great day! I always think of Amish furniture stores as only selling wooden furniture for some reason. Those chairs look comfy. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of their furniture was wood. LOL But then right in the middle was these 2 recliners, which apparently they upholster. They had some beautiful items....

      Delete
  2. Nothing beats a day good for your soul. The scenery was gorgeous, but those rocks looked very slippery. I would have busted my butt!

    ReplyDelete