Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Weekend happenings...



This weekend Bill worked a lot of hours... a double shift on Friday, a normal shift on Saturday, then open to close on Sunday. The kids and I did some running around on Saturday with my mom. We met up with her at our local farmer's market on the square. We got some yummy veggies (green beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, and jalapenos). I also let the kids pick out a donut as a treat. They were super yummy. I got a maple bacon one that was so yummy!


After bringing the veggies and treats home, we set out for a used furniture store. I have 2 kitchen chairs that keep breaking and one is now broken beyond repair so I have been on the lookout for new chairs. I am unwilling though to pay $50 or more for 1 chair which is what kitchen chairs go for new. So we decided to check out This and That Used Furniture store in Danville.



I was able to get 2 chairs for $29. That is a great deal for wood chairs. They are lighter than our dining table, but I figure if it starts to bother me, I can sand them and paint them black to match the table legs.  Ben wasn't happy that I wouldn't let him bring the deer head home! LOL


We stopped at another farm market/ bakery on the way home since I wanted to get peaches and some corn for dinner. My mom told me of a new way she learned to cook corn on the cob.... take the corn, covered in husks and all, and microwave it for 3.5 minutes. It cooks the corn perfectly and all the silk comes off super easy. As I was picking out my corn, another customer came up and ask me if I had ever made corn in the microwave and he proceeded to tell me the method my mom had just told me. I will admit that when we came home, I tried it on an ear and it worked perfectly!

The kids brought out the perlar beads and made some creations that afternoon since I finally replaced our iron. LOL




Our dinner that night was sloppy joes, cucumbers, tomatoes and corn on the cob. Mine was only the veggies. SO GOOD! Ben had 3 ears of corn!



Sunday was spent going to Mass. Rebecca got to serve mass and Jacob and Ben got to take the offertory up. Ben was so proud as this was his first time to do this.

The rest of Sunday was spent puttering around the house getting a few things done. The kids made more perlar bead creations. I made eggplant with dinner as Rebecca had asked me to buy one so that she could try it. I roasted it and everyone tried it. Rebecca said the taste was fine but she didn't like the texture. I don't like the texture of eggplant. Bill actually liked it. Ben liked it if it was smaller bites. Jacob thought it was gross. LOL

Sunday night, we just relaxed and got ready to face the new week!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rachel - just starting to get caught up on my blog reading after taking a month off. I hope that Bill getting so many hours is a positive thing. That was quite a wrench that got thrown into your lives a while back and I really hope the worst of that is over.

    ReplyDelete