Sunday, August 8, 2010

The GOOD, the BAD, and the UGLY--August 8, 2010

Another week has gone by. Time to recap the good, the bad and the ugly of our family's financial world....So here goes.....

THE GOOD: I found my reference letter that I thought had been thrown out! One of the requirements of the school job is that they have 3 letters of reference on file. I had one on file from a courtcase that I had last year against a former employer (it was written as part of the settlement). I called my former principal at Mater Dei Academy and she called me back and agreed to write one for me and to mail it. And I emailed my college advisor and he agreed to email one to the woman who hired me! Yay! So I have the 3!  I also have already done one of the other requirements...the Protecting God's Children class that is required for the Catholic Church. I did that when I was teaching full time. Now just to get the fingerprints and background check done. I had it done in 2001 but it has to be done every 5 years. So things are looking up in regards to that job!

THE BAD: We are still pretty stressed about money. We are fine each month, but we don't have hardly any left over to save for a used car or to put toward debt. And my dear husband is SO stressed out about his job, money, finances, our kids, etc. and that is bad. I have shown him that his income meets our needs financially, but he still is so stressed and when he gets like this I really don't know what to do.


THE UGLY: The job that I thought I had at Walmart didn't work out. (I won't go into details, as you can read about it here. ) That stopped any plans of getting a car anytime soon. It is so frustrating because I basically wasted a whole day away from my husband and kids and it made Bill and I get into a huge fight, etc. I am so frustrated because I really want to be able to move forward and it seems we are stuck in neutral.
Another Ugly, was we got our interest statements for our student loans. Both of our loans are in deferment as Bill had lost his job and I wasn't able to work because of Jacob's birth, etc... We owe around $55,000 in Student loans...UGH.....And neither of us are using our degrees. That is what makes this an ugly. I wish I could mail back my diploma and say thanks but no thanks. But I know that is not how it works. I am just tired of seeing the amount of debt that we have. (although it is better now than it was 1 year ago.)...

So there you have it. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly of our financial week. What is your GBU?

For more info visit: Digging Out From Our Mess

1 comment:

  1. I hear ya on paying for student loans. I have a Master's in Elem Ed, and I am not currently using it. But I am paying for the privilege of having this piece of paper. One day, it will get put to use.

    I think once you have your A-HA moment, it will get easier. I didn't think we had the money for this and that...and it is amazing what you have when you take a step back and see it with fresh eyes.

    Keep on keepin' on!

    ReplyDelete