The job that wasn't...

So I had posted before about how I had gotten 2 jobs. One for an afterschool care program and one at Walmart. Well yesterday was my orientation at Walmart. I should have known from the beginning there was going to be a problem...the woman running it had no clue as to what we were supposed to be doing. She never checked our books to see if we had the right answers or were participating in the program. At another point she was supposed to show us how to use the compactor and baler...that consisted of us walking back and her saying there it is and walking past. She kept asking the personnel manager if these forms were the right ones, etc. The manager on duty was supposed to come and talk to us, but she didn't even call for him. She assumed he was too busy. (He was out back smoking as we saw from our "tour" of the back.) Very, very disorganized! Right before we leave, she rushes us through clocking out and then hands us our schedules for the next 3 weeks....I look at my schedule and think..."what the...?".. My schedule had me working from 10pm to 7am, 4 days a week. Okay so I got hours, so what is the big deal? The big deal is that I told them that the earliest I was available for overnight was midnight or later. During my last interview/ job offer I told them that again and the manager, the same one who was supposed to do our orientation, told me that was fine, they could do a 1am-7am shift. I brought this to the attention to the personnel director who seemed ticked that I was balking at the schedule they gave me. She got an attitude with me. So, she then took it to the manager on duty, the same one who told me that. After like 10 minutes, she came back and got me and he asked me what the problem was. When I explained the problem, he said " don't recall saying" He would not look me in the eye. He asked what other positions I could be put in and unfortunately (or not) they didn't have any other openings and "are not allowed" to do different shifts than the 10-7 shift. So looks like I will not be working at Walmart. As I was leaving, the personnel manager did tell me that I would be paid for that day.....ugh...

My reaction to this....anger, upset about being lied to, upset because I "wasted" a day of stupid orientation that had nothing to do with the job itself. The more I thought about it though, I was relieved. My gut had been telling me that this wasn't right. Even Bill said he wasn't feeling all the great about me working there and being full time mom. The money would have been nice, but I can't leave a 4 year old and a 10 month old home alone just so I can go work at walmart at 10pm. Oh well, lesson learned. I have had a lot reaction on facebook from family and friends who have worked at walmart and they were not surprised and told me that I was better off.  (As a side note, I will probably not stop shopping at Walmart all together. Where we live there are not a lot of shopping choices for groceries. That being said I will probably try to shop more at Kroger and Aldi before Walmart. But I will warn others who are talking about applying there for a job.)

So what next?  I will still be working for the after school program, I am in the process of getting that stuff done. Getting reference letters, etc. together. That I am looking forward to doing and is more in line with who I am anyway. I feel so positive about this opportunity. I am also going to be putting ads out for tutoring and lessons; something I have done off and on for the past 3 years. I am also brainstorming what else I can do. Any suggestions??


  1. I'm sorry about that :( Wally World is notorious for being a bad employer.

    I heard Aldi is good if they are hiring.

    Are you good with hand crafts? You can open an Etsy shop and sell things if so, LOTS of homemakers do that to make extra money on the side.

  2. Sorry it didn't work out. Just so I am clear....why couldn't you go in at 10?

  3. @Katrina---I am thinking about looking into the Etsy shop. It might be an option.

    @Mysti---I couldn't go in at 10 b/c my hubby works mostly 2nd shifts and he doesn't get home until 11-1130. With only one car, it being too far to walk, and with the little ones (ages almost 4 and 10 months), I couldn't be in until after he got home from work.

    It stinks, but I have to believe that these things happen for a reason and it wasn't meant for me to work there.


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bill's job saga the last 2 months

Green Giant Steamers (and a GIVEAWAY!)

I met Sluggy!