Monday, August 1, 2016

Spent yesterday at the ER-- UPDATED

So... yesterday I was supposed to go see Kenny Rogers in concert at the Ohio State Fair. Well that didn't happen...instead I ended up spending several hours in the emergency room. 

On Saturday, I started have pain in my lower left abdomen. I started drinking lots of water thinking I was dehydrated. Yesterday, the pain got worse and I was bleeding and having hot and cold flashes. My husband insisted that I go to the ER, so that is where we went. 

To make a long story short, after several tests including a cat scan-- the diagnosis is that I have a 3+ inch fibroid that is irritated and causing the pain and the bleeding. It is also causing me to show symptoms of anemia. Lovely. The ER doc basically put me on modified bed rest until I can talk to the OBGYN and I am basically off work until we can get this resolved.

I have an appointment this afternoon with the OBGYN and I will see what he has to say. I do have pain meds to take and they help somewhat. We shall see what the doc says.  

I saw the doctor this afternoon. He is concerned because I am still bleeding and the fibroid is the size of a grapefruit. He put me on a medicine to hopefully stop the bleeding as my red blood counts are dangerously low. To take care of the fibroid, really the only option I have is to have a hysterectomy. I signed the papers for it, but now we have to wait for insurance....

 

14 comments:

  1. I am a long time reader tho never really comment. You will definitely get approved. My friend had this almost to a tee! She was surprised that after the healing/recovery process how easy her desire to lose weight became.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for replying. Yeah my doctor said that I have been probably been having symptoms the last few months and just didn't realize it. I have been extremely tired the last few months. I hope that after the surgery happens that I just feel better! Again thanks for reading and replying!

      Delete
  2. I hope that you get the surgery soon. I hate to think that you are suffering and the insurance is taking their sweet time.
    I bet once this is over you will feel so much better.
    Take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. That is what my ob says too. I am also hoping insurance hurries up!

      Delete
  3. Hope you feel better soon. Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! Hoping for a fast ins approval and a speed recovery!Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a fibroid that was about the size of an orange and it caused heavy heavy bleeding and pressure on my bladder. I had a myomectomy done via 3 laporascopic incisions. That is to say that the fibroid tumor was removed only. No hysterectomy. If you end up needing a hysterectomy, I recommend you check out this website. http://www.hystersisters.com/ There's lots of good info and support there for you. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because of the size and where it is located, the only option I have is a partial hysterectomy. He wants to keep my ovaries if at all possible so I don't enter menopause. Thanks for the website. I will definitely look into it.

      Delete
  6. Oh Rachel! I am so sorry that this is happening to you! Thinking of you and a speedy recovery!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry Rachel. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete