Wednesday, June 17, 2020

A snake, flowers, hiking and a teepee

HAPPY WEDNESDAY! Yesterday, I decided that our adventure of the day would be to go out to the Brown Family Environmental Center (near Kenyon College) to see if we could find some frogs. Lacie and Ethan had never been there and my kids love going there to hike and look for frogs. 

Well, we went in the morning before it got too warm out. We first headed to the pond where we usually see a lot of frogs in and where we had seen TONS of tadpoles a month or so ago. Well, we didn't see any frogs...but we did see a rather large water snake!  The kids thought is was cool as it went under the water and then laid across the lily pads. 



After looking at the snake, we headed off to the other area of ponds where we did see frogs and turtles.


 


We also saw lots of lovely flowers in the gardens of the center. 






Then we decided to hike the pine trail. This is a trail that goes up, up, up into a grove of pine trees that the kids love. The trail is a killer on your legs and my niece told me that I was out of shape as I was breathing pretty heavy by the time we got to the top.




 


The kids loved running around and adding to the teepee that someone had built. 





Then we hiked back down and stopped at one last pond before heading home for lunch. 





The hike just about did me in! I was exhausted the rest of the evening. Just another reason that I need to make sure that I am exercising. 

Last night we just chilled out. I made an easy dinner--- pulled pork in the crockpot with coleslaw, sliced up strawberries and chips. Perfect summer meal in my opinion. 

Today, Rebecca just told me that I look exhausted. LOL I am tired but will go on. I think for our adventure today we are just going to walk down to a local playground. They opened playgrounds back last weekend so we shall go check it out and the kids can get some of their energy out and I can sit at a picnic table and watch them. LOL Hope everyone has a wonderful Wednesday! 


8 comments:

  1. Your children and nice and nephew are getting so many good nature expereinces. Iknow all are ocncerned aobut leanring loss form the shut down and distance leanring, but you are giving them ther experiences that relaly keep their brains engaged. The Nature center looks like a terrific place fr a day out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The center is great. A lot of our area schools do field trips to the center in the Spring. We love it and it has many walking trails, and the Kokosing Gap bike trail runs through it so we can walk the bike trail as well.

      Delete
  2. I loved my time at M.C., but had I actually visited the campuses before I chose, I would have wound up at Kenyon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny because I ended up going to Denison (Kenyon's chief rival) but love Kenyon's campus as well.

      Delete
  3. How nice, what fun! I would have died, hills do me in. It's such a good thing to do with kids though, get them out exploring. You are a good mama!
    Della

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks. The hills just about kill me every time which is why we don't do them every day. LOL

      Delete
  4. Snakes eat frogs and frogs know it! I think it is funny that Rebecca told you how you looked.

    ReplyDelete