Monday, June 29, 2020

More Rain and Cleaning the Closet of Doom

Happy Monday! Is anyone else dragging today like I am? Not sure if it is the weather--hot and humid, or the fact that I didn't get very much sleep last night but I am just dragging today. Maybe it was the busyness of the weekend? I don't know. 

Friday night I did, in fact, order takeout for Bill and I at a local Greek and Indian restaurant that recently reopened. They have been closed for over a year, while the owner went back to India to get married. We got takeout from there to celebrate the 16th anniversary of Bill proposing to me. While Bill was heading out to pickup our food, it starting storming horribly. And we had a tornado warning as well! Thankfully, he got home shortly after the sirens went off. We did not get a tornado, but we did get almost 3 inches of rain in less than an hour. 

You can see the rain just pouring off my neighbor's porch roof! 

Ponding and flooding in the yard


After he got home and dried off, we enjoyed our yummy dinner! I got a chicken kabob platter and he had a lamb gyro! Both dishes were super yummy!

Chicken Kabob Platter (that rice underneath was so tender and cooked perfectly!)

Bill and his lamb gyro. He said it was one of the best he has had. 

Saturday, I ended up watching my niece and nephew so that my parents could go to two graduation parties. I figured they would enjoy them better if they didn't have to take Lacie and Ethan. It was rainy and stormy most of the morning/afternoon, so we played games and hung out here. Saturday evening I ended up going to bed early. I guess I was tired.




Sunday, I decided that I needed to tackle the closet of doom! I have mentioned this nemesis before on my blog and it was time to tackle it again. The main reason was to get all my heath and beauty stuff organized so that I could see any gaps that I need to fill in (I am doing this so that I can be more prepared if we have another stay at home order mandated. Ohio's numbers are increasing daily and all evidence is that it is NOT because of more testing. My gut tells me that we will have another one sooner rather than later, so I want to be more prepared.) This is what I started with: 



And here is the finished product:



I ended up with 6 trash bags and a box full of stuff to donate and 2 bags of trash. I also posted the kids' dollhouse and stuff that goes with it on Facebook for anyone for free and a friend came and picked it up for her single mom neighbor who has a 2 year old! Win, win in my book. Also, I came out ahead in another way as I found a 12 pack of toilet paper, a half a can of disinfecting wipes that I didn't know that I had and a nickel! I call that a win. Cleaning that out took most of my day. I wish I could say that I had help, but I was watched most of the time to make sure I was doing it right! LOL



Last night I made cheesesteaks for dinner and they were super yummy! Not necessarily good for my diet but good non-the-less. Speaking of my diet... by counting calories and exercising (walking) I lost 4 pounds last week! I think my body knows because I have been craving chocolate and all the junk food the last 24 hours. Gotta stay strong. 

Today, I have taken the kids on a 2 mile walk and have started laundry. I might clean the bathrooms here in a bit. Dinner is pretty much sorted as I have a whole chicken cooking in the crockpot. Easy peasy. I also want to make a Walmart and Aldi list for either tomorrow night or Wednesday night...thankfully the only need that I found for our health and beauty stuff was deodorant for Bill and adult toothpaste. (I have 3 tubes of kids Colgate, and only one backup tube for us.) I think my grocery run is going to be mostly produce and milk. 

What are you up to today? Is it hot and humid where you are? Hope everyone has a good week! 

14 comments:

  1. I am glad you made it through cleaning the closet of doom. I am hitting the laundry room of despair today .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you found success in the laundry room of despair!

      Delete
  2. The finding of wipes was like a wonderful surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a rockstar!
    The closet looks amazing!
    We love Jenga here. : )
    And takeout is a win!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job on the closet!
    I love how you and your husband have your private meals together. You know, I was criticized heavily years ago when I told somebody that for "date night" (the concept of which annoys me anyway) my husband and I would get takeout for ourselves to eat after the kids went to bed. I'd fix them trays to eat in their rooms--usually sandwiches or crackers and cheese, and actually let them watch movies in bed (typically a no-no) while we were downstairs eating--grownups downstairs only, and woe betide he who violated this rule. I was told it was unfair for us to have better food, and not let them be part of the family. That we would be doing the very same thing, only leaving them with a babysitter if we went out apparently hadn't crossed this woman's mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg B,
      That was a silly criticism. I was criticized for hiring a babysitter and keeping the kids upstairs when we had a party downstairs.

      Delete
    2. I did that for a New Year's Eve party!

      Delete
    3. We try to make it a priority.... especially after we had a rough patch in 2018. It needs to be a priority and the kids don't mind because we don't give them a choice. I typically make them more kid friendly food that night and they can watch TV or whatever. They need to know that mom and dad need to make THEIR relationship a priority! Sorry you were criticized. Adult relationships have to be nurtured too and if someone has a problem with how we are doing it, then I would tell them that they could easily babysit for us or pay a babysitter if they would like!

      Delete
  5. Well done on the closet. I agree that dragging kids along to open houses may not be a great time for anyone so nice that you took your niece and nephew for the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It was a good day for my parents and I don't mind having Lacie and Ethan here.

      Delete
  6. That closet looks great now. I need to tackle my bedroom. Today, as you will see on my blog, I ran around in circles, it seems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry you ran in circles yesterday! I hate days like that. I know that you have been organizing your new freezer so that is awesome too!

      Delete